Going for first Rheumatology app

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am going for my first appointment tomorrow and I am a bit nervous and although I think I have some form of arthritis I'm scared of actually being told.

Will I be given some pain killers as the ones my doctor have given me don't seem to be working now.

I have swollen wrists and hands shoulders click as do my knees and ankles and hips my feet get so painful that sometimes I can hardly walk.

I also have Psoriasis on my palms and soles of my feet which the Dermatologist said that it may well be connected to the arthritis.

I just feel so worried

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I was nervous also ,I think that is normal ,,,when I was told I had RA I cried for bout a week  just feeling sorry for myself ....my doctor got me on right med n I feel pretty good , I do hot yoga five times a week n it really helps and I want to run the jingle bell race to raise money for arthritis research which is in December so I got time to train lol ,,,so smile cause the unknown is always scary ,,,you will be fine  ,,keep your head up n breath ,,sending gentle hugs ,,let me know how you make out 
  • Posted

Best try not to worry to much, but get as much information as possible at appointment, if your diagnosed with RA you'll get medication, information is the key as you might want to find things that may self help, people on this site maybe helpful with suggestions.

• Posted

Try Turmeric 95% curcumin with piperine capsules it helps me a lot with pain and inflammation, plenty of info online, please check it out it could well help at least it will do you no halm, only consideration if you're taking blood thinners but don't if this is really a problem according to what I've read,, loads and loads information online, I believe knowledge is power.

• Posted

I drove home in some disbelief.......and got a traffic ticket. But, stay positive. Don't worry about what MAY happen until it does. You may find this more manageable than you thought. And be open with your rheumatologist and ask questions. Get answers if he/she does not seem talkative. And Martin F is absolutely right about the curcumin. I use it and it works. Add black cherry juice and pinapple juice. Google those two juices and RA. 

Good luck to you.

• Posted

It is normal to be nervous but relax and know that if it is an autoimmune disease the rheumatologist will find a medicine that works for you.  I have been on Humira since my diagnosis 11 years ago and I really forget I have RA!  I do know that biologics do not work for everyone but I honestly think I would be in a wheel chair by now without them.  You may not get a diagnosis tomorrow, the doctor will probably run more tests and you will have to come back.   Good luck!
  • Posted

Hello Lett,

I won't say 'try not to worry'  because I know that will not be possible for you.

I was first diagnosed many years ago with RA, Osteo and Fibromyalgia.  I also have Spondylitis and go every six months unless I have a problem and can phone anytime for an appointment.    I had one yesterday.

One bit of advice I will give, is to go armed with a list of any questions you may have, i have to write things down otherwise I forget to ask.  They will do tests and probably scans and Xrays to make sure of the diagnosis and will advise on medication and lifestyle.  

Good luck and please let us know how you get on. x

• Posted

Psorasis - is the type of arthirits I have or so says the rheumo, I have had psorasis on my skin my entire life, and used many different medicines to try to help. Don;t think anything really helps, it never really goes away, just levels on angry, and the arthiritis is much the same.

Rheumo and GP follow my progress or lack there of with two blood tests ESR & CRP, the levels of these are what tells them I am improving or getting worse.

What has helped me, rheumo has been telling me for years to reduce weight, but it has been a really big probelm for me as I had osteo arthirits in hip joints as well, since I have had both hips replaced moving more and have started to lose se weigh, also arthiritis has settled more.

Also the less wheat products I eat the better I feel, rheumo said there is no link they know of but i can tell the difference if i have been caught out with hidden wheat, really achey the next day, and hands more swollen.

Also have discovered moving is a life saver, not moving only makes it worse, for me at my worst getting in heated pool, and treading water, with noodle under my arms, stretching, arms and legs, trying to move all joints out and around, I make a consious effort to do the heated pool three times a week, even up until the day before hip surgery, and then again 3 weeks after surgery.

Medicines, they have to see what works for you, just a matter of working your way through the chemsits shop as I have done.

Am now on methotrextrate, once a week, and leflunomide, daily, biologicals not for me as I have TB antibodies in my blood stream.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.