Going in for 4th Cystoscopy since Oct.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Background first..... Went for Cystoscopy in Oct because of urinary pain, problems initiating flow, pee trickling, constant feeling of not draining bladder and UTI symptoms without infections showing up in tests. This went on for over a year before I could get a Dr to listen. Anyway, first Cysto could not be done, my urethra was too narrow. a month later In went in for a rigid under Anastasia. Dr found stricture, was stretched. They said I was fixed, sent me home with antibiotics. My symptoms never got better. As soon as the antibiotics were done I started peeing blood. Walk in put me on antibiotics for another month till I could see my Surgeon again. Stopped peeing blood but symptoms continued. Saw Dr in his office last month. Said he could not do any treatment till he knows what's wrong, with another cysto. He assured me we would not need another rigid and that the soft would work this time. Went in for it yesterday. He couldn't get the scope in. The dilatation he did in Nov. did not work at all. I was given the option yesterday of another dilatation attempt or I will have to Self cath every day. (booked the dilation yesterday)Have a few questions. One, has anyone had a dilatation fail and the next one worked? Second. It is going to be another month till they can get me in for the dilatation but did not send me home with a cath and don't seem to care that they are leaving me for another month without being able to fully drain my bladder. Does this seem OK? The reason I ask is my husband went in for a systo right after me in Nov due to similar symptoms and as soon as they saw he wasn't draining fully, they had a cath in and he had surgery within weeks. He is now fully fixed. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I should also say I'm a 37 year old woman. 

• Posted

I had rigid cystoscopy with dilation 2 years ago, was sent home with a catheter and leg bag to help with the healing process. Catheter removed after about 8 days no problem at all. Do self catheterisation to fully empty bladder, but it is really no problem just do it morning and night. Live a normal life regarding toilet problems now.
    • Posted

That is the problem. They did not send me with a cath. I was told to go home in the condition I am in and wait another month unable to fully drain until they can get me in for another rigid systo and dilatation. I will only be shown how to self cath if I refuse the procedure or if it doesn't work again.( I will however be forced to wait ANOTHER month after the procedure to see the surgeon again. So that means if the dilatation on March 13 doesn't work, I will not be taught how to cath until mid April)  I am a little concerned that they don't seem worried about my health during this wait. They do not have me on any meds of any kind for this either. Again, the reason I'm concerned is that my husband had a very similar situation in Nov and his surgeon seemed a whole lot more worried about him than mine is about me. 

• Posted

I went to the hospital as a day case, expecting to be there only for a few hours, but because the surgeon had problems with the dilation, said it took 3 times longer than usual I was kept in overnight. The surgeon explained that the catheter was important to help with the healing process, said it was like scaffolding to keep things in place. Having said that I had no pain or real discomfort. If I had to go through it again I would do so no problem. Self cath is no problem and is quite easy to do. Most important don't worry it is not necessary and won't help. Good luck.  

• Posted

Kandyoh80, the question I have here is, are you seeing a urologist or a general medical practitioner? Big difference here. Urologists are specialized in urinary systems. Stick with them whenever you can when dealing with urinary issues, as you describe.

Best of luck, alan86734.

• Posted

Hi, He is a urologist. He is supposed to be the best in my city. I'm stuck with him now anyway. Lol. It would take months to get into another. 

• Posted

Have you tried calling your husbands doctor for a second opinion?  You never know they might be able to see you, when I called a second doctor I was able to get in within a week and the cysto was scheduled within 4 days and done in hospital while I was out, really shocked me as the first doctor took over 4 weeks to get in and the cysto took over two weeks to get scheduled which was done in the office.

• Posted

My husband's urologist in in the middle of retiring and turning over his practice to another surgeon. Lol. He has even less time than mine. smile. I have had enough though and am going in to the ER here today. I spoke to a health Link nurse (medical phone service here) and she said I need to go in right away and get a cath. I should not be left like this for another 4 weeks. (her words). smile . So at least I might be in less pain after today? smile 

• Posted

I wish you luck, hopefully you will get some relief soon.  I know how stressful it can be.
    • Posted

Thank you Debbie. Me too. Still get to wait a month for systo. Nothing hospital could do for me today. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.