Going mad? Problems concentrating

Posted , 2 users are following.

Last year i found out i had social anxiety , I was going through a lot of stress and anxiety for around 6-8 months . I managed to get help for this (CBT) which helped me a lot my stress levels have improved slowly along with my anxiety . My social life has improved a lot and i am a happier person as a result. but..

I have noticed over the last 6 months or so i have found it really hard to concentrate on day to day things . At first i thought it was a problem with my eyes which i got tested and everything was fine .

I sometimes forget things and find it hard to take in things that are going on around me . ( Its really hard to explain ) . Basically my head feels like its all over the place and nothing like it was before i had my stress problems.

It has effected my recovery from social anxiety a lot since its hard to concentrate on what i need to do. It also effects my work . Best way to explain it is . its sort off similar to the when you are a little bit drunk or high . But all the time

I am a 20 year old healthy male and i don't see why this is happening to me since my stress has gone yet i still have this problem .

I do tend to not get the correct amount of sleep needed . I play a lot of video games and take a lot caffeine / sugar during the day and recently i have started smoking a lot of weed . all of which i assume is not helping my situation one bit.

Any help is much appreciated

r

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I used to suffer pretty badly from social anxiety, and unfortunately it still happens every now and again when I least expect it- I have the most embarrassing panic attacks.

I feel that (as a separate issue) you have answered your own question when you mentioned these facts-

1. I do tend to not get the correct amount of sleep needed

2. I play a lot of video games

3. take a lot of caffeine / sugar during the day

4. i have started smoking a lot of weed

If you tackle each of these issues separately and individually with full focus, I am sure you are more than capable of rectifying the biggest part of your problem. If you still find that you feel the same way after a realistic length of time that should be considered for sorting this out then you may then need to try and evaluate other issues regarding your mental psyche. This can be sometimes helped with counselling of various methods. This could be speaking to a professional, simply doing exercise, self help methods such as meditation or listening to C.D's or some other way. Good luck.

• Posted

I used to suffer pretty badly from social anxiety, and unfortunately it still happens every now and again when I least expect it- I have the most embarrassing panic attacks.

I feel that (as a separate issue) you have answered your own question when you mentioned these facts-

1. I do tend to not get the correct amount of sleep needed

2. I play a lot of video games

3. take a lot of caffeine / sugar during the day

4. i have started smoking a lot of weed

If you tackle each of these issues separately and individually with full focus, I am sure you are more than capable of rectifying the biggest part of your problem. If you still find that you feel the same way after a realistic length of time that should be considered for sorting this out then you may then need to try and evaluate other issues regarding your mental psyche. This can be sometimes helped with counselling of various methods. This could be speaking to a professional, simply doing exercise, self help methods such as meditation or listening to C.D's or some other way. Good luck.

• Posted

I agree with splodge - the caffeine alone is a huge stimulus, you are firing your brain with chemicals that stimulate it and make it over-active, the cannabis also has well-documented long-term effects and I expect that all these things are just by-products of the social anxiety.

A lot of the time, social anxiety is a varied form of agrophobia, and can be treated in the typical method of 'exposure therapy' - small things like walking round the block once a day, or even to the end of your garden, staying there until your anxiety has ramped up a bit and then heading back indoors - start small and work your way up. Use manned checkouts instead of self-service at the supermarket, speak to friends on the phone instead of via facebook etc - small changes to how to you interact with other people can make a huge difference... it sounds like you are having anxiety attacks to me, given what you report, but tehre may be other things going on - when anxious, chemicals ramp up in your brain and you try to process everything at once, which causes the overwhelming feelings. CBT may help with this but try approaching a few mental health charities as tehy are great for helping, even if it is just counselling or pointing you in the right direction.

As a side note, give up the weed if you can - it is a coping strategy that eventually will lead to worse things as you keep searching for the next buzz or high!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice.

In the last few days i have attempted to cut down on drinking a lot of tea and coffee .

And started to drink water as a replacement . Yes it is true exposure therapy is help full as i have found out in the past but its just about pushing myself in my case to harder situations . Life is not easy with social anxiety let alone this horrible brain fog feeling i have been getting recently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.