going off Mirtazapine 7,5mg after almost 5 months, what to expect?

Posted , 6 users are following.

HI all. Struggled with mirt, going onto it. Took me about a month and it was not easy. While it may have given me a little benefit, after almost 5 months on it its safe to say the drug does not entirely agree with me. Often feel like i have a dead horse on top of me, very heavy feeling, almost like a weakness. 

If i have understood, the smaller the doses, the more it sedates. I was thinking to start weaning off and half the 7,5mg for say a good 3-4 weeks and then stop from there. 

My concern is that i have a 10 day trip coming up to Thailand in about 14 days time. As i am living quite a stable life now am a little concerned if weaning now could cause me some problems, side effects etc. 

I realize my 7,5mg is rather small dose, but surely weaning off will have consequences. Nice to hear from anyone with experiences. Many thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh goodnes NO ... go and enjoy your trip and when you get back do some thorough research of how to quit Mirt' ... the golden rule is to taper no more than 10% every 3-4 weeks to avoid any WD symptoms and allow your central nervous system/brains neurons readjust, although your doctor may not know this. Dropping 50% of the dose will be sure to be very difficult for most folk, I wouldn't risk anything so close to a holiday of a lifetime!

Click on my name and read the links under my status for starters Chris, for a full informed choice.

Glad you came on the forum, hope this helps a little.

• Posted

HI CHRIS I WAS ON MIRT FOR 3 MONTHS ,,IT HELPED ME BIG TIME,,read my posts,,,,started on 7.5mg this made me like a zombie,then 3.75,,for 2 weeks ,,,my dep/anx/ect improved 80% but no sleep,, dr said go back to 7.5mg as i had improved and sleep might follow ,,,IT DID,,,3-4 HRS A NIGHT...better than zero,,did this a while then 3.75mg for 4 days then off that was 2 weeks ago,,NO SIDE EFECTS AT ALL,,,but sleep not that good it may settle down in time,,,i am 77y/o so do not need so much now ,,i think if u reduce to 3.75mg NOW for 5-7 days then off u will be ok for your holiday,,,hope this helps you  ,,,BLUESY,, 
    • Posted

HI CHRIS,,,,sorry to confuse u but i may have jumped the gun ...i also think vikki is right to say keep as u are and enjoy your trip/holiday and decide when u get back what road to take,,,just thought it might help as it did with me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUESY,,,PS HAVE A GOOD TIME
  • Posted

Hi Chris, I'd wait until you get back from your trip because you wouldn't want to feel poorly and be away from home. This is going to be a challenge to say the least so be kind to yourself and enjoy your holiday.

• Posted

HI VIKKI,,,,I AM SORRY I DID NOT WANT TO CONTRIDICT YOUR POST TO VIKKI,,i just thought due to my own experence with the mirt it might help ,,,you are right  ,,best to wait till after the holiday,and then take it from there,,,,best wishes              BLUESY
    • Posted

You didn't Bluesy, but thank you anyway, we all want what's best for each other on here, thanks again Bluesy and you take care of yourself too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.