Going off Mirtazapine after two months on the medication, what should I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for guidance on how I should go off mirtazapine 30mg after only two months on being on the medication.

A few details on me and my journey:

female, 30 years old, was on paroxetine 40mg for two months, then i was advised to switch to mirtazapine 15mg for two weeks and then 30mg for the past two months.

I have a history of self harm and eating disorders and was put on the drug due to dissociative episodes, depression and anxiety.

My main issue with the medication is the weight gain; i have gained roughly 15kg (the equivalent of about 33lbs) since the switch from paroxetine and it's been extremely counterproductive to my journey in therapy and overall self image and self loathing.

I have severe cravings and never feel full, to the point where i feel the need to eat most of the day and end up binge eating to try and feel full. I have food on my mind 24/7 and I've been trying to force myself into a diet and yet every day the number on the scale still goes up.

It's really triggering and I feel like I can't take it anymore. Could I go off the medication cold turkey since i haven't been on it for too long?

I have an appointment with my psychiatrist in 4 weeks (that's his earliest availability) but I feel like I can't take it anymore.

I appreciate any response and anyone who wants to share perhaps a similar experience.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.