Going off Mirtazapine, but can I take Benadryl ???

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on Mirtazapine for almost 9 years.  But nervousness, anxiety, it only got worse... So definitely want to get off.

I know I have to taper slowly and it will take a year.

But the WD I expect from beginning is insomnia .

My thought was , as Mirtazapine is sleep inducing because it is has histamine H1 receptor affinity… maybe taking a bit Benadryl to avoid the  “not sleeping” WD could make it easier to me.

Of course not full Benadryl tablets and not for to long, maybe just a few days, at every drop down.

( Even if only placebo ) .

FB groups say it should be avoided , but no more info.

Any thoughts ?? Anybody tried it ??  Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

have you considered asking your doctor for a sleeping pill?  5mg of zolpidem Tartrate tabs will do the trick.
    • Posted

That an option , but as I already take 10mg Valium in mornig, 10 in evening , plus 0,5 Xanax..... inn the normal days , thus when I do not add an extra xanax or 2 :-) ... 

So I was kinda trying to avoid this approach.

• Posted

Hi Maurice,

I see your thinking, if you taper slow enough you won't need any other sleep aid.  Do you still sleep OK now?  

Yes most support groups I have read say not to take extra anti histamine.   Because your brains neuro transmitters need to heal with the slow tapers, and adding more histamine block (like Benadryl) stops this.  

Maybe do 5% drops to begin with, see where the land lies with your own body/mind, and if after 3 weeks you are OK maybe tip toe up to 6, 7, 8% according to how you feel every 2-3 weeks.  

Are you planning to make a liquid?

• Posted

Hi Thanks,

I am not sleeping OK , it was only better in the very beginning.

In the meantime I also found that Benadryl is also Serotonergic, so combining the 2 is indeed not a good idea. 

( Even if some Doc's prescribe 2 AD's to some people )

But my biggers fear is that taper the Mirtazapine will make me sleep even less. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.