Going off of Ven

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have tried 3 times to take this medicine...and while it takes care of my depressed feeling...it makes me anxious and lethargic.  I am starting the weaning off of it now.  Last time I weaned off I took 3 weeks to do it.  I felt all of the symptoms everyone talks about when they go off of this med.  I only stayed off for 3 weeks....and felt edgy and cross.  But I was not exercising and watching my diet.  I know all of the proper diet, exercise , deep breathing and praying helps!  Anybody have any other suggestions?  My thought is to just quit cold turkey.  I am on 37.5 and have been very sensitive to all medications all of my llife.  But I want it over with!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debra

Are you sure that the symtoms of anxiety, lethargy and edginess/ crossness aren't part of the depressive illness, rather than the result of the venlafaxine, or withdrawal from it? 

How many times a day are you taking your 37.5mg, and how long have you been on it for?  If it is only once a day, then it is a sub-therapeutic dose for an adult, despite your sensitivity to med.s. 

I took it for 11 years, and had to stop it cold turkey as it used to make me sick, as I broke my pelvis, so couldn't get to a bowl or to the loo in time on crutches.  I may have been pre-occupied with the symptoms of the fracture, or the withdrawal effects may have been made less by the pain killers, but I really don't remember having a problem stopping it.  I used to be on 150mg slow release.

I think gentle regular exercise, particularly outdoors, is a great help.  It keeps you in touch with nature, the seasons, and releases endorphins, which always make you feel better.

I hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

Hi Amanda.  I was interested to read you saying about the symptoms being part of the illness.  Iwonder that. How do you noq?
  • Posted

I think 37.5 is quite a low dosage, so you might be able to come off cold turkey.  It sounds as though you have a plan - proper diet, exercise etc which can only help.  What I would suggest is making sure you have family/friends around to help you out if you need it.  You are bound to have low days where you might just need a boost to help you through, someone to get you out for a walk or take your mind off things.  Also another discussion with your GP might be worthwhile, see what else they can suggest.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.