Going on holiday in 3 weeks can I drink alcohol on Escitalopram?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi There, 

I have just recently started taking 10mg Escitalopram and it is working really quite well already, I am due to increase to 20mg on Monday.  I am a "sensible" 43 year old and don't have any addiction issues.   My problem is I am going on holiday in 3 weeks time and flying long distance.  I was wondering whether I would be ok to have a glass of wine on the plane and when I am out for dinner in the evenings etc.  I have read online that it is ok to have some alcohol in moderation.  Though other negative online opinions are to avoid it at all costs as it can make you go crazy, black out, vomit, they ended up in A&E etc etc.  If anyone else has been on Escitalopram and had alcohol in moderation could they please provide me with their opinions.

Many Thanks

Mark   

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I take the same med. Just increased to 20 mg today. Wine is good for you but don't drink too much. My sister drinks wine on her med but don't over due it.
    • Posted

Thanks Tonya for getting back to me.  I just wanted me and my partner to be able to enjoy our holiday as kinda "normal" peeps.  Though I had read really horrible stories online and didn't want to take any chances.  Hope your 20mg increase is going ok?  I have found the drug really good so far it really has taken the edge of my anxiety a lot already.  Not quite there yet but I seem in a better place than 2 weeks ago.  confused
    • Posted

Your welcome.. Yes the med is working for me also.. Enjoy your getaway.. Like aspinan said drink plenty of water too.. Don't ponder on the internet its bad for us.. ❌❌❌
  • Posted

Hi Mark, just adopt a healthy respect for both alcohol and your meds and enjoy a drink, you can't go wrong.

Try to have a "dry" day every other day and drink plenty water, go for a soft drink for every alcoholic drink in between.

• Posted

Hi Aspinan, thank you so much for your reply and I really appreciate your comments.  biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.