going out for a meal whilst on orlistat

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have been on orlistat now for about 2 weeks and have lost about 5 pounds and I am going out for a meal on saturday night, there will also be drinking going on smile. i was wondering if anyone could help me , im not sure what to do about taking my tablet, to be honest i am not sure that the restraunt will do really low fat foods and also its my first night out in weeks so im looking forward to a nice meal - i was thinking of having a buttermilk chicken burger with chips and onion rings and salad, but iim nervous about taking the tablet. does any one have any advice.

anything would be highly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Becky smile xx

(btw im only 18)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Becky,

my advice would be to not take the tablet with the meal otherwise you will get the oil side effect, its possible that you may still get some oil even if you miss the tablet as your meal may still be in your system the next day then take your next pill.

As far as alcohol I have never had any side effects from it although if your couning calories the sugar content will push up the calories but if your having chicken burger & chips etc I would skip the calorie counting for that day!!

I would try and eat really healthy the next day to try not to have a oily accident, if you start to feel windy down below the next day I would advise to stay near a loo!

Hope this helps, enjoy your meal.

• Posted

Hi Claire,

Thank you so much for all you help and advice, I will skip the pill tomorow night and then continue on sunday with a healthy food plan. As far as the toilet istuation is ocncerned, I will definately be having around upstairs near the bathroom smile

Thanks Again xx

• Posted

Although it may sound odd I have found that it's important to take Orlistat if I'm going out for a meal. Just knowing what the oily side effects would be like is enough to get me to focus on having foods that will limit the effect. Over time you start to enjoy picking the lower fat options simply becaise of this. It's a huge incentive and helps retrain your mind so far as food is concerned which is part of the battle in the long run
    • Posted

It's sad Syracuse, but, oh so true! We just have to accept that it has to be a life style choice. (But, maybe just this once?...........). That was how I put the weight back on! Back to the drawing board!

regards

• Posted

Hi Jk. If you're able to, have a look at a book called Never Binge Again by Glenn Livingston which is currently available for free as a Kindle on Amazon. It's a novel approach and not for everyone but I've found it hugely helpful and using it together with Orlistat it's currently working a treat. Good luck!
    • Posted

Just watched an hour long video about it and made some notes. Thanks for that. Interesting. 'Food for thought' you might say!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.