Going out with oxygen

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi is there anyone who can give me some advice about having low oxygen levels so I'm on oxygen 24/7 I feel fine most if the time indoors but when I go outside especially in the cold I get breathless but should this be happening if I've got my small concentrator on ? Does anyone exercise using a oxygen concentrator ? Does it help ? I'd love to hear from anyone with same difficulties

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jackie

An oxygen concentrator filters air coming in and compresses it.

Breathing in cold air lends to more brochospasm and 'shrinking' of the airways which would case you to become more short of breath.

have you tried wearing a loose scarf over your nose and mouth?

There are also heated masks that are available but I do not know if these would accomodate oxygen use.

From what I have heard some people prefer to use the concentrated oxygen because they 'never run out' of oxygen while others prefer using compressed oxygen.

Have you had any opportunities to speak with a Respiratory Technologist? They could do some easy assessments and find out how well your oxygen saturations are doing, especially with activity and make recommendations..just a suggestion.

Lill

Lill

• Posted

Thank you for replying. No I did not know about cold weather effecting bronchial airways I just summoned that that using oxygen and it being 98% I wouldn't have any difficulties.I will try using a little scarf and get in touch with nurse
    • Posted

I just noticed my post:  of course I meant I DON'T have any experience with oxygen!

I've found a scarf over the nose & mouth will help slightly if I can't avoid going out in the cold 

• Posted

Oh that sounds good Jackie

Yes, coldness and wind can really stir up the aggravation with breathing. I live in a climate that has snow and cold during the winter and I find that using a loose knit double knit or likewise does help.

The other thing you can do, if you are finding it more difficult to walk in the cold, is to take your 'rescue' inhaler (ie Ventolin) about ten or fifteen minutes before heading out..and still use the scarf. It helps in a proactive way to take a puff or two (and still carry it with you just the same in case you still need it, you could take it again)

Let us know how you make out with thing Jackie!

Will watch for any news.

Lill smile

• Posted

I have any experience with oxygen but I do know that cold temperatures contract the bronchial tubes so that could be the cause and/or airborne pollution where you live
  • Posted

Hi Jackie hun. I keep on getting invovled with ur name . Will try to help and pass you on to a 24/7  jackie husband who knows much more than i Imay lucky just 4 yrs asbestosis or not being ex buildedemolition from the 60`s. emphemasema ,copd   and mine are still lung defects causing always distressing breathing problems as you well know 1`ll do my best to get Brian online to you. MY ONLY HELP IS TRY TO GET OUT INTO FRESH IF POSS AND EXERCISE WITHIN UR MEANS , god bless nasal breathing without 02 is best. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.