going outside immediately after op

Posted , 15 users are following.

Assuming my op takes place next week I'm intending going out on my scooter the day after I come home. I might be believing in the impossible but what would be the biggest problem when you're not having to do any work yourself? I'd be grateful for your own experiences please as although I'm unable to walk anywhere at the moment there is no problem at all using my scooter apart from getting up off it to put it away. Then comes that groin agony owwwwwww

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, just take it steadily, I wouldn’t make any plans to go out initially. I think you’ll be a bit too tired to concentrate on playing bridge. Maggie’s idea is good, see if someone could come and pick you up. (But not as soon as you come out of hospital.)

I can see why you want to get out, but maybe someone could visit you.

When you are up to going out you have to consider all sorts of things, like the height of the seats, whether the toilet will be high enough etc. My surgery was v straight forward and I was pretty mobile on my crutches. I remember going out for lunch on day 7, and looking around the restaurant wondering what I was going to sit on, it was all too low.  (I perched on a sort of bar stool at the table...)

Take your pain meds, try to do your exercises, and rest. All the best, Judith 

• Posted

My hospital was pretty blunt, first time out of the house, 10 days, to visit the local GP Dr, to remove dressing and re-dress if necessary.

Thats exactly what happened, by the time I had sat at the Dr's surgery, had the nurses strip off the old dressing, GP inspected cut for infections etc, declared it was OK, and nurses re-dressed back in car and home, I was exhausted, back to bed and feet up so swelling settled.

You will not even be hungary post surgery, I just ate some eggs, packet soup mix, some fruit, very light meals, you really don;t feel like eating.

You will not sleep, post surgery, cannot explain it, but many people have this issue, you just have to accept that it happens and not get stressed over it, that will only make it worse. Get up switch on TV, I used walking stick to reach switch down low, rubber end makes for a good switch on-off manipulator.

Did some family history research, added a few hundred more to my extended family as there is much more available online since I last picked it up, found their shipping records, from england.

And you may get unlucky and even suffer from some depression, I hope not for your sake, and not everybody suffers, it seems your body goes into shock at the assault that has been inflicted upon it, and it takes some time to get over it. 

Remember they have broken the biggest bone in your body, cored out your marrow, and thats what makes your red blood cells, your have also probabaly had a significant blood loss during the surgery, and although it is replaced its foreign blood, and we wonder why we may have depression.

Best thing that ever happened to me, the pain from my horrible worn out hip joints was gone, I was aware of the difference the following morning, although sore, it was a different sore and the hip joint pain was gone, what a relief that was, 5 years of problems the local Dr denied I had.

• Posted

I was actually in the hospital for 5 days, and even when I came home it was a struggle. I suppose if you push yourself and things go wrong, then it's really up to you.

I wish you luck, but not sure what you are trying to achieve so soon after a major op. 

• Posted

Remember that you will have had major, major surgery. You’ll be tired and still sore. Why would you take the risk? Recovery is not a competition. You need to walk and do the prescribed exercises instead. 
  • Posted

Sarah, thinking of you as your surgery must be coming up soon. The very best of luck to you, and don't forget to let us all know how you are doing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.