Going outside problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

So, I have anxiety and I struggle from panic attacks just before I go out anywhere however I feel like I don't have social anxiety? I have to be with someone really close, like my mum so I thought maybe it was agoraphobia? 

Anyway, last friday I had a panic attack to the extreme where I was actually sick and I have a phobia of being sick so it's put me in a bad position, I haven't been out the house since because I'm worried it'll trigger it all off again but am I making myself worse? 

Please help..

It's really getting to me. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Can you go a short distance with someone else each day. then increase it every day until you can make the journey alone.  You are making it worse by imagining what is going to happen if you go out the door. What that is, only you know. Can you talk to your mum?  The best thing is to make an appointment to see your doctor at a time when your mum can accompany you. Alternatively try the Samaritans.
    • Posted

My mum went through it herself however I am a little worse. I've tried the doctors however they can't do much for me apart from therapy and thats going to take a while for the appointments to come through sad I think I'm just scared of getting the feeling of anxiety and having a panic attack.. I don't really know many techniques rolleyes 

Anyway, thanks. 

• Posted

Hi Hopexo, I had a similar fear but I didn't avoid going out, what I said to myself was that it was unreasonable not to feel panic when I go outside but if I can control it from becoming a panic attack I'll be ok, it worked for me.

A full on panic attack peaks after 10mins or so as such you need to remember that whilst it's horrible it isn't going to do you any harm and it will pass after 15mins. 

Face your fear and you overcome it. Neil 

• Posted

Hi Hopexo, did you ever witness your mother go through the same thing, if you have or even the fact that your mum is an anxious person would make me think this is something you have learnt. Your anxiety of going out feeds it. My mum was an anxious person and as a result was over protective of my brother and me as kids, and guess what, we have it now not as bad Im glad to say. Do you have a dog or borrow one to use as a distraction and take for walks, with your mum at first and work to just you and the dog and then when your ready try it yourself maybe your mum could walk a bit behind you as you build up your confidence 
  • Posted

Hello! I have been diagnosed with Agoraphobia. Do not let it continue. It sounds like your Mum is your safe person. Ask her to come get you and take you somewhere. Somewhere that you do feel safe. Her house maybe? If that is too much for you, then seek help from a therapist. If you continue to avoid, you will get stuck there. I used to avoid any place where I had a panic attack. But I had them in my home also, and could not avoid it. But that is also where I felt safe, or trapped. I feel if you are asking for help, you are feeling trapped. Hope you can find some professional help!
  • Posted

hey hope.

i also suffer with an extreme phobia of being sick which has now triggered bad anxiety to the point that i am now petfrified of fainted and having upset stomach. Unfortuantley all these feelings of anxiety we have can make our bodies create physical symptoms. i am loosing my apetite and everday at some point go into a state of panic. im 22 and i text my mum constantly throughout the day telling her how i feel its a nightmare. Even tho i know im not going to be sick theres always that small chance so i freak. I am now in work writing on here feeling anxious as my parents have gone away for the weekend. I also struggle at work because i know i have to stay here, i have a bit of a control issue i like to know im able to get out of somewhere when i want and even tho i no i can get air when i want i still have to work all day until i can feel relief and even then its very brief sanity before i overhink again. 

Take deep breaths, drink plenty of fluids and get some fresh air whenever you feel panicy. talk to someone and tell them how you feel. i find that talking about how i feel helps me greatly. never suffer in silence. also its always good to have a cry and let out how you are feeling. silly i know but after youve let it all out its like a weight has been lifted of you. 

doctors will try and perscribe you anythign and everyhting. tell yourself you dont need medication as it can make things worse in the long run. you can get yourself out of it. we are not the only ones suffering and i always try and tell myself there are people going through far worse than us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.