Going round the Bend

Posted , 5 users are following.

My THR is doing fine (3 wks PO) BUT my Total Knee Replacement on the other leg is really playing Up due to me putting all my weight etc on it due to new Hip. This is the second time that my knee and surrounding thigh the muscles are in total spasm. I can't lift the leg, it's buckling as I stand, stairs are a hazardous nightmare!! I need this leg to function re new hi other side!! I'm at a loss!!! Taken pain meds, Valium, ice /heat AGONY. Dr , Surgeon, Physio keep saying it'll all resolve when hip side gets stronger!! Well HELLOOOOOOOOO what the hell am I supposed to do when it's acute like this???? Can't get into bed properly. Loads of pain, can't sit!! Don't want mess hip up.!!!! OMG this is one Nasty joke!!! NOT

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Gaby, you're not the only one going around the bend.

I thought I was doing fine until I had a surprise appointment with my surgeon today (I am 4 weeks) - he tells me that on reviewing my Xray, my ceramic cup is not in the correct place - had another Xray which confirmed it.

He suggests replacing it in January - so that will be nearly 3 months off work, to be followed by a corrective operation, and at least another 3 months off work after that.

I have been through all this, and now I can look forward to doing it all again in 6-8 weeks time.  If I wasn't a strong bloke, I would cry  [cry]

Should I let him do it, or should I get referred somewhere else?

Regards

Graham

• Posted

Omg that's horrific!! How truly dreadful!!

Well my husband is now having a complete hysterical meltdown!! I'm screaming, crying it's horrific !!!

Can't work out what to do if I go downstairs, then what!! Couches are low blah blah! Can't think how I can get back upstairs without doing my knee again???????

• Posted

Gaby,

What a pair we are, you in pain feeling awful, me in no pain but feeling totally gutted.

Love

Graham

X

• Posted

I know. Feeling somewhat desperate right now! Can't see wood for the trees all over a stupid knee & steep stairs!
    • Posted

Keep going Gaby, with all the love from this forum you can beat it.

And mine is a cup just a few millimetres out of place.  Got to consider just where I go from here - do I let the same surgeon loose on it, or do I try to find someone else?

Love & hugs

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham

That's awful!!! I'm shocked! You were doing so well and that the surgeon put the cup in the wrong place! I don't know quite what to say. Did you have any idea this may have happened? What a shock for you. I think I'd be looking at a second opinion, preferably out of area because they all know each other and I would think back each other up.

Keena

• Posted

How awful for you Gaby! To be stuck either up or down and have your recovery set back so far! Poor  you. I would be feeling desperate too.

Maybe you could hire a recliner lounge for a few weeks. You can get electric ones that actually life you up into a standing position. That would make it easier on your knee getting up. You don't want to cause more damage getting out of a low chair.

Keena

• Posted

Thank you .i know. My biggest " mental" thing is my Mum got Polio when I was 5 & was paralysed from the neck down. Over time she got 20% mobility back. She was truly amazing, quite Bohemian, nothing stopped her she lived life to the full!! My Dad however was Bi-Polar and that was a challenge to.

I have been a Carer one way or another my entire life, my husband has Crohns and Ostioperosis.

I have a major hang up about ending up like my Mum, disabled, having to rely on being helped or being helpless! It freaks me out and at times like this I go into free fall & think what's the point as my arthritis takes another joint every 2 years so far. What will the end be. What's the point of the struggle!

Bad day😖

• Posted

Come on Gaby, together you and I can beat these setbacks.

Somehow we will come through it.

Graham

• Posted

Wow Gaby!You are entitled to go into free fall!!!!! That is so so much - past present and future. I'm crying with you.

I could point sensible things out like you've done ok up to now. There have been periods of joy. Your husband is there to be with you. There is a lot of support for arthritis sufferers today. But I would understand if you could not hear those things today.

It is a terrible horrible no good very bad day. Be gentle and kind with yourself, you've been through so so much. What do you do to comfort yourself? I actually keep a list for times like this. On my list is cry until I don't want to cry any more. Watch tv. Have yummy food. And at the moment, read this forum!

I know the fear about the end. I too have joints collapsing all over the place. The physio pointed out that my other knee is nearly bone on bone. I didn't even know it had problems. I'm coping by ignoring it. And enjoying to the max the things I get pleasure in.

So much struggle. So much pain. Stay in touch.

Keena. xxxxx

• Posted

Bless you & thank you. I can feel my Mum tapping me on the shoulder telling me to get a grip & behave myself!!! So many far worse off than me like some poor soul who may be terminal would swap in a heartbeat!! But for today I'll wallow and tomorrow I'll try and dust myself down and be positive again! Pain wears you down to Nasty depth. Also Valium for muscle relaxant makes you depressed!

I'm wondering if I could try to come upstairs on my bum, if it won't hurt my hip or knee. I watched on You tube might work??

• Posted

On you bum, what a good idea! Pain would tell you if it's ok or not. I think. Sometimes things don't hurt but prevent recovery. It's that shower you want I think!

And I do that too. Allow myself some time to be depressed, then tell myself to be positive and do something. For a number of weeks, I can't remember how many, pre and post op, I'd allow myself to cry in the morning. Then I stopped myself crying for the rest of the day. I found crying therapeutic, but only up to a point.

I find doing things helpful. I learned how to bake no knead bread in the last few weeks. But that will be hard for you now with mobility so limited.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.