Going through a hard time, would anti-depressants help me?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All

I am not sure if this is the correct section to cover all of this, but I have been going through a tuff time recently, as a whole and one of the stand out things is I can’t cope generally with things and just can’t sleep very much only about 3 hours a night.

I used to sleep really well, but what’s changed is when getting to the point to dropping off to sleep it’s like my body or brain is just trying to fight it all the time, like releasing adrenaline (like a charge through my body) or a massive jerk happens numerous times. I have been taking Nytol, but that only get me about 2-3 hours before waking up, my whole system seems like in a high state of alert throughout the day.

Would Antidepressants help me and restore some calm to my system? I have never taken them before, but I feel as I need something now, as I can’t continue like this.

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have had this. inbox me for a chat x

• Posted

hi nesty. i have bpd and have been taking sertraline 200mg for years now. got switched round to a different one not so long ago and boy did i realise how good it was for me.might not be for everyone as i feel it numbs u slightly. i take a cocktail of other meds too. hope it picks up for u.

• Posted

Hi All

Many thanks for the replies, I shall give you an update.

My symptoms were caused by Ciprofloxacin toxicity syndrome, I had a massive bad reaction to it. The worst 4 months of my life, only a handful of doctors acknowledge this (tends to be the retired ones, which speak out) . My GP put it all down to stress and anxiety and offered me Sertraline 50mg a day, I find now much more on a level plateau and sleeping much better now, though I have read that Ciprofloxacin can vastly reduce Serotonin, so would be plausible why Sertaline restored my sleep process. I am happy on 50mg at the moment and a part of me wishes that sometime in the past, maybe I should of taken this path sooner.

However, the Ciprofloxacin effects have eased, not completely disappeared, but the Sertaline helps me through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.