Going through customs at airport..

Posted , 13 users are following.

Just a quick question for you ladies and gentlemen...is there some kind of card I have to get to explain why the alarms will go off going through security at airports ? I'm in UK

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I asked this question to my surgeon on my check up,he said they were no longer issued due to terrorism,he said the uk government stop it as it was found terrorists could use them.
  • Posted

I had my op done private, they gave me a copy of the joint parts they used and a lettet confirming what i had had done. You can also get a note from you GP
  • Posted

I don't think any type of info would be useful to take through security. Terrorists  could do the same. They'll just scan you and pat you down I should think

• Posted

Hi there I used to work at Heathrow and the only alarm that will go is if you are traveling and going through security at passport control, even with a letter from your doctor I don’t think you can avoid being frisked but you can mention the reason. I am not trying to put you off but if they are not satisfied they will take you through the full body X-ray . It is not a problem I have been through it. Good luck 
  • Posted

Ask your GP surgery for a copy of the letter the consultant sends post op, I always keep a copy with my passport. I have only set off the scanner at Abu Dhabi, I had to go into a tent with a lady security official, I said I've had a hip replacement, want to see my scar and flashed my leg at her, She said its fine go lol, probably traumatised her with my tree trunks ha ha. Never set it off at Heathrow, Gatwick or Ibiza. In Perth Australia, I told them I had a hip replacement and they said don't go through this scanner just go through full body one, which was fine. However did set off the scanner in Boots! 

• Posted

They will look at it and send you too I the same place for the same scrutiny as if you don't have one. you are going to get body scanned or extra wand scanning. I suppose I've been in 30 airports US/Asia/Europe and received pretty much the same treatment. Schipol in Amsterdam was the least restrictive.

• Posted

I'm in the USA, and although I DO have a card from my surgeon, they have ONLY used the wand and not even looked at my card! They wand each knee and the machine beeps, as expected, and then they wand the rest of me that doesn't beep.

I have been in line watching SOME people show their scars as well.

I definitely can see that terrorism has changed things a lot!

• Posted

They used to give out those cards years ago and stopped it because they could be easily duplicated. EVERYONE gets scanned and wand-ed.  Period.  I try the archway...no joy.  I have to go through the body scanner and the TSA agent always says: "Yo Frankie! Ya gotta come over here and see DIS guy!!!  Freakin' Terminator!!!"

Hip, knee and three spine fusions...close to five pounds of metal.  Sooooo much fun...

• Posted

I actually was given a card by my surgeon last year. I think it really depends on the Dr. I am in the US.
  • Posted

Hi

I go through the airport 2 or 4 times a week. No card , just take your shoes off , then straight to the body scanner.

You have this for life!!!

Good healing 

• Posted

I've just been to Rome and obviously the alarms went off I've had a hip and knee replacement but all they do is pat you down I told them I had joint replacements but they didn't seem to bother at all.

• Posted

Just hope that the next "pat down" doesn't lead to a full body cavity search!!!  I've got hip, knee and two spine fusions...almost 4 1/2 pounds of metal.  Always an adventure.

• Posted

Hi

I am also in the UK , it’s only our minds that what to explain why we set  off the scanner.

I did exactly the same to start with.

Good healing

• Posted

In my wife's case, yes it is literally her mind...a titanium brain aneurysm clip...plus an IVC Filter in her sternum.  We make quite a pair...

• Posted

I went into a courthouse recently and the alarm went off. I was pulled aside and I explained I had a TKR. They used the wand and off I went. When in doubt I will show my scar!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.