Going to get a third operation. Is there any one who got a repeat MVD?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I had HFS since 2017, when I was 33, and it deteriorated rapidly. Now I am having trouble even walking or reading because my left eye kept shutting and my left face would twitch to a degree that my facial muscles hurt. I had my first surgery in 2019/6, my second in 2020/2, and am going to have another at the end of 2020/3. It was very frustrating and discouraging that the former two surgeries failed. I suffered from vertigo(for a month), nausea(for 3 days), and hearing loss after my first operation but suffered from almost nothing from the second (I think it may be because the second surgeon is more experienced, but still...). My symptoms didn't get better at all and I was so devastated. Now I found another surgeon, whose fee is not covered by health insurance but who has performed more than 2000 MVDs. Hope this time it succeeds. Don't know how to carry on my life if it doesn't. Is there any one who got repeat MVD and recovered?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hi Jean

I was sorry to hear that you're considering a third MVD so soon after your last one. I imagine you must be in the US as you talk of health insurance. Please join the Facebook Hemifacial Spasm International Support Group where there are members from all over the world and lots from the US - there is a lot of expertise there and members are very helpful in giving honest opinions about surgeons etc. I have only had one successful MVD and I've found that the norm is that people don't normally go for a second or third MVD until a year or two after the last one. I do hope you will have success this time - it's so important to have a surgeon who has done many of these surgeries for HFS. Sending lots of good wishes from here in the UK, Roseann

• Posted

Thank you Roseann! I joined the support group and it was very helpful!

• Edited

Hi again Jean

You might look up this reference on the internet. It is by a highly reputable Canadian Surgeon who does a lot of re-operations. I won't put the link here because it won't be accepted but look up these words: Failed Microvascular Decompression Surgery for Hemifacial Spasm Due to Persistent Neurovascular Compression: An Analysis of Reoperations Anthony M Kaufmann

• Posted

Thanks a lot for sharing! I just had my third MVD last Saturday in Taiwan. Now I have to wait until all the complications fade before I know whether it is successful or not. Fingers crossed!

• Posted

Do hope it will be 'third time lucky' for you Jean. You are very brave to go through this three times and I wish you well very soon. Please let us know how you're doing in a few weeks if you feel well enough - hope so. With love, Roseann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.