Going to see neurosurgeon

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Good night ,I'm going to see the neurosurgeon soon can anyone advise me what question i should ask him.

Thank you all.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Pre-Visit...

1. You will need to describe your symptoms and how long you've had them. Do a body check...make notes.
    2. Also be ready to explain what you have done for the situation (chiropractor, PT, pain shots, etc.)
    3. Bring your MRI. Neurosurgeons want to see some imaging before they see you. The neuro or your GP can order it.

Visit...

1. Neuro will take your history, look at the MRI and do an exam.
    2. The exam is very important because he/she can get a good idea of the general area of your problem by which nerves are affected.
    3. Bonus: You yourself can get an idea by looking at a DERMATOME MAP (Google images). This chart shows which nerves deliver sensation to which areas of the body. Example: I'm having pain in my lower abs, left hip and lower back. The Dermatome says that it all goes back to L1. All testing says that the map is correct. Fusion on the 22nd.
    4. If it's really a surgical situation, the neuro should order a CT/Myelogram with contrast. This is the "gold standard" spine test that gives the neuro a complete, detailed view of your spine pre-surgery.
    5. The neuro might order a single pain shot to the exact targeted vertebrae. This is used to confirm the surgical site and not really for long-term relief. Even a few days of comfort confirms the correct spot.

Post-Visit...

1. The neurosurgeon will provide you with the results of all the tests plus a surgical plan. It could be as simple as a same-day decompressive laminectomy (I've had two) or a fusion (I've had two).
    2. The laminectomy is pretty simple and done as an outpatient. Lots of pain should be gone quickly with any residual pain caused by inflammation gone in a week or so. Doc removes any bone spurs or edges of calcified disks that are pressing on nerves and causing the pain. You hope for this outcome.
    3. Fusion is more complex and involves expanding the space(s) between vertebrae which are compressing nerves. If your problem involves multiple levels, the TLIF (from the back) involves spacers, rails and screws. You are looking at hospital time, months of outpatient rehab and wearing a brace for a good six months while the fusion takes. If it's one or two levels, find a neurosurgeon who does a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF or XLIF or OLIF...same thing). Doc inserts a device that acts like a car jack, expanding in the space and separating the vertebrae. For me, it was immediate 100% relief, one hospital night, no brace, no rehab. Miracle op. See picture.

I've been through this four times, #5 this month. Remember that surgery is the LAST resort that you REALLY want to avoid. All my incidents went from chiropractor to PT to pain shots before I had to have the surgery...no other choice. Do your research...know your stuff, especially your surgical options. Don't get talked into a TLIF when an XLIF will do the job. Way less pain and zero rehab. Good luck.

• Posted

A laminectomy is not 'pretty simple' it may be to you, but Im 6 weeks post op and still struggling with recovery pain.... hoping that I heal soon! Its no fun.

• Posted

bring a notepad with your issues...and take notes on what he tells you so you can reasearch on your own later. dont be afraid to ask him/her to repeat something....or even spell something for you. Always ask what the alternatives to his recommendation are -and if there are any concerns by waiting if you choose to do so.

i put off my first back surgery, and now have some permanent/unreversable nerve damage because I waited 6 months to schedule. I didnt know waiting could make it worse or cause additional problems.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi mark69155,

Thanks for your reply it's very helpful,but can you tell me how do you know when your nerves are permanently damage.

Thanks

• Posted

its a good question to ask your Doc re "what if I wait or do nothing". There are lots of reasons to have spine neuro surgery... some of them preventative or just for pain relief....others are emergencies and you cant doddle.

In my case, when I blew my first disc a dozen years ago... I had a herniated disc "impinging" at c 6/7 (disc pushing into my spinal canal and pushing/pinning spinal cord against the wall). I had already been diagnosed with various spine issues and had been dealing with pain and weakness for a few years when these new nerve symptoms showed up and started getting worse. I waited several months to schedule my recommended disc fusion which means I didnt get the pressure off my cord as early as I could have and now have permanent peripheral neuropathy on top of my chronic orthopedic back issues as a result.

Ive since had 6 other neuro surgeries that weren't as time sensitive , but this first one (when I was inexperienced and didnt know any better) really affected the quality of my life by delaying.

• Posted

Mark 69155

I'm so sorry to hear that have permanent peripheral neuropathy and why do you have to have six surgery,is it that when you have the first surgery it affect something else that cause you to keep on having surgery.

Can't you just have one surgery that fix everything or once the neurosurgeon does the first operation then something else go bad and continue like that .

Are you still able to walk or do you have to walk with aid and are you in constant pain every day,that is what I'm afraid of.

Thank you.

• Posted

yes on the pain - but you get used to it, adapt, and do the best you can. because of all the surgeries i am still mobile and still working .

the surgeries were not related...other than because my spine is crumbling in so many places (degenerative). Ive had 3 fusions, a laminectomy, a cyst removed from spinal cord, and two Nevro spinal cord stimulators installed (one high and one low). other than waiting too long on the first one, all successful procedures

• Posted

mark69155

Thanks for that mark , i feel a lot better to know that and I'm glad you're still able to work.Thanks again

• Posted

I'm sure you have already done this, but make sure you read the reviews of the neurosurgeon before he/she puts the knife in your back.

• Posted

bradley_o_

thanks for your reply but I'm in the uk and we don't have review of the neurosurgeon I'm sorry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.