going to see the consultant

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had digestive issues all of my life - constipation, bloating and occassional billius attacks have always been the norm. A couple of years ago at christmas I had a fabulous day, filled as normal with enjoying food and during the night I suffered spending an hour or so vomitting mostly undigested food, inc breakfast. Nothing for the following years, excepting the constipation, bloating, odd runny bowel movement, and occassional nights when I felt I'd caught a chill in my ribs.

Then at easter this year after a weeks holiday and an enjoyable evening watching my son's brass band concert I had the chill in my ribs again, for a couple of hours I was fidgeting, nothing helping - pain killer or hot water bottle, then followed by 3-4 hours of vomitting. I went to A&E the vomiting had stopped, but I had the feeling of constipation I was eventually admitted and put on a drip - bloods indicated an infection. Nothing was pinpointed but was suspected diverticulitis. I was told to eat plenty of roughage and not to get constipated - easier said.

Over the next few months I had a further 3 or 4 attacks, always thinking that it was because I was 'backed up'. Then on the final attack after I had vomitted my entire stomach contents I started vomitting bile, this continued for a further 2 hours at which point I went to the night doctor who said I had classic symptoms of gallstones, gave me some codiene and told me to go to my GP and stay off any fatty/dairy foods.

Next day, after 2 hours sleep I went to GP, explained history of problems and requested a scan referal. He said he didn't think was gallstones, but did refer. It took a few weeks for the appointment to come through, and in the meantime I'd lost a stone in weight, got married and went on honeymoon before the scan, always being extra careful looking at menus for the lowfat options - not easy for a veggie, especially one that' s avoiding the bloating effects of wheat!

The scan confirmed 2 large gallstones. We went out for a meal in the evening and I had another attack. 2 weeks later went to the GP to discuss the results. He was convinced that my low/no fat diet was the way forward and that as I'd only had one attack since the scan that there was no need to be refered for further treatment. After firmly repeating to the GP that I wasn't happy with his advice about either the gallstones or dietary needs (he gave me the standard NHS leaflet about 5 portions of veg/fruit + meats given to heart patients) he eventually refered me.

I'm off to see the consultant this afternoon while sat here with a chill in my back and a nausious sensation after only having 2 rounds of non-wheat toast this morning - I am aware that somedays I'm fine and others I'm not but don't understand why - I either need to eat a very restricted diet or get the gall bladder removed.... moan over.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Your symptons are so typical of those posting on this website. Having your gallbladder will remove most of the pain and symptons but is not 100 percent. Having these problems can mean a whole change of life regarding eating. It's nearly 8 months since mine was removed but I have to be very careful. For some it is the answer to their prayers for others it is not. Dr Spock, who give us lots of useful advise, once said it takes around a year and for me that seems to be true. I have vomited 10 times since the op but actually have started to feel better. My alternative medicine lady put me on Natures Sunshine Food Enzyme capsules and they seem to be helping with digesting food (I also have hiatus hernia and Barretts). When I get full of wind I take a spoonful of Woodwards baby gripe water, also helpful. My bowels are not working properly and I may have to be tested for diverticulitus. I am on fibre granules and Lactolose. I have to have a hernia op on the 30th by the same surgeon who took out my gallbladder. He suggested 5 fruits a day, for the bowel problem,which is diffucult when eating is a problem. The best fruit he said is pears. I have tried tinnned pears, which are softer than fresh - with good results.

This is an awful time for you and many others but things will get better eventually. It is all about trying to 'manage' the condition and realising that there will be good and bad days before the gallbladder is removed and after. Try to eat little and often and low fat. Cut down on meat consumption (I don't eat any) and keep all meals moist.

Try not to get too disheartened. Everyone on this site are so supportive.

• Posted

just been to see the consultant and he said that he wasn't going to remove the GB in the first instant - but run some other tests before. bloods were taken and i'm being booked in for an endoscopy - this means i'll have had a camera both ends :lol: he wants to check for celiac (sp?), bugs in the gut, and all the usual things they look for. once all the results are in then he'll remove th GB. I asked about foods and he said that moderation is the key and that no one food type could set it off... I left feeling that I had been taken seriously, which is something I've not felt since it started at easter.

gemini - Good look with your hernia op. and :idea: Thank you for the gripe water advice - it is on my list to pick up tomorrow, it may make christmas meals bearable.

I have fibre sachets and lactulose, which I only use when desperate as the sachets give me bloating pain to the point where its uncomfortable - sometimes a nice home made fat free veg chilli stew :wink: does the necessary.

thank you again for your reply

• Posted

i had ERCP which is an endoscopic proceedure 3 times before they would perform surgery - if they are doing this sort of proceedure, it will give them a better idear of what is going on. on the plus side you are getting some tests now i was yellow for a month before i got my scan brought forward!

all the best and let us know how you get on.

vix

• Posted

May I take this opportunity to wish everyone on this site a Very Merry Christmas and a Healthy New Year, especially Mr Spock, Vixen and Jean who have been so very supportive to fellow sufferers.

I will keep logging in to see what is happening to everyone but will have to have a break after my op on the 30th.

• Posted

Maggie, I will be thinking of you on the 30th. Good luck with your operation.I hope 2010 sees you feeling a whole lot better,and I am sure it will.

Merry Xmas and Happy New year to everyone on this forum.

Take care,

Jean

• Posted

Merry Christmas to you too Jean and thanks for your kind wishes. Maggie
  • Posted

gemini - i hope you had a lovely christmas - good luck for your op on the 30th - i wish you a restfull new year!! and wish you good health in 2010.

all the best

vix

• Posted

Thanks Vixen. Had a good Christmas - hope you did too. Getting things together for the 30th. Should just be in for the day. I had a lot of Xmas cards wishing me a healthier 2010. Funnily enough I was just at the stage where I was feeling much better and thinking that I could cope if that was as good as it was going to get. I was eating better and hadn't been sick since the 19th Nov. Have been taking some Nature's Sunshine Food Enzymes which seem to have helped with the digestion. Hopefully this op won't upset all of that. It will just mean not lifting for a while. Funnily enough I never have as I have had 2 hernia type ops before. Thanks for you good wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.