Going to start using Negative Pressure Wound Therapy System today

Posted , 4 users are following.

A home health care nurse was supposed to be here this morning but since she's sick, another person will be here later today. A little anxious about the set up of the device (Avance Flex) and how the dressing will be applied. Not exactly looking forward to that, but realize using the system/machine will improve the healing of the surgical wound from left anterior THR  6 weeks ago. Other than the annoying thigh numbness (ice it and stretch), all has been great. I'll give more info after the set up.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dianne, nothing to worry about, it just looks a bit daunting. It really is a brilliant idea and works well. I am sorry that the nurse did not turn up. Hopefully another one will be along soon though. Good luck.
    • Posted

The other nurse did show up. She hooked up the system and it's running. A bit cumbersome and not sure how I'll manage with it for too long. I know it will help the healing so willing to give it a try.

• Posted

So glad you started another discussion. Hope the new system will help your incision heal in no time. 

You doctor made a good decision to use the new system. It was a great help in my case after a complicated revision . 

Hope to to hear from you with good news! 

• Posted

From what I've read the system is a good one and has the potential to help speed up the healing. Wondering how long I will have to use it. I'm not looking forward to leaving the house much with it as it is a bit cumbersome. Hopefully I figure out how to manage it. I'm keeping it in the case on my back for now.

What system did you use?

• Posted

Mine was portable with batteries & plastic 4' tube attached to the dressing on my incision and the console box with batteries. I kept mine in a large pocket or fanny pack. I felt like I was on a dog leash even though I'm potty, and leash trained . It never lets you forget it's there and sometimes a bit of a tight pull from pressure on incision but it not to uncomfortable. 

Your system is a bit larger/heavier and the way your packing it is the best way. Thank goodness there a quiet system. 

So behave yourself and I know how tempting it is to pot a few plants so don't start gardening too soon! I'm sure by the  time spring has warmed the ground you'll be fit and back to business as usual! May will bring sunshine 🌞spring flowers 💐and good news ! 🍸

• Posted

Thank you for the supportive comments. There is a constant dull two beeps from the machine. I'm going to figure out how I can cushion it more to decrease the sound.

The tubing is long so I stuff a bunch of it into the carry case. Have to remember to plug in once a day to charge.

• Posted

Yikes beeping machine ! Sorry! Get some rest and cushion that thing in a drawer or under the other... side partner side hehe.. of bed! 
    • Posted

Yikes beeping machine ! Sorry! Get some rest and cushion that thing in a drawer or under the other... side partner side hehe.. of bed! 
    • Posted

More like "thud..thud"  If I put it by my husband's side of the bed he wouldn't notice. I'll put a cushion around it when I go to sleep.

I think I'll bring my walker (one with four wheels) and put it by side of bed. Can put the case in the compartment of the seat so it won't slip off seat. If I go to bathroom during night can just use the walker.

• Posted

Jeech!  Could  it possibly be a more annoying noise. Silicone ear plugs got me thru 25 days in rehab with a roommate and my room was right across  from the nurses station constantly buzzing. Sometimes I listened on my IPad to my fav group ...Coldplay ...fav music." Viva la Vida" .  Helped me sleep thru many nights. 

Luv those 4 wheel w/seat  Walkers. A absolute life saver. They get thru the tiniest spaces and so handy, nice nite time Walker too! Sounds like a good plan.

• Posted

Worked great keeping the pump in the seat of the walker. I cushioned it with a towel and barely heard the thud sound. The carrying case for the pump converts to a back pack but can be annoying with trying to put it on. I now have the  case in a soft backpack of mine that has comfy shoulder pads and room for stuffing in the extra tubing. I think that will work well and also be much better for when I go out. Also space for anything else I want to carry. Also good if I need to use the cane when walking. Don't use it much inside anymore, but sometimes outside it helps with being able to walk faster and for more even walking.

I really want the healing aspect of the system to work for me, so I can adjust to some inconvenience.

• Posted

So glad you have sorted out the carrying aspect. In a few days you won’t even think about it, just like having a handbag with you.

If it is beeping is there a problem? Is there any warning message on the display? Could it be that the machine is tilted? 

• Posted

It's not beeping, more like a "thud/thud" activation of the pump. No warning message. All it displays is RUN CONTINUOUS. Machine not tilted. I know that could set off an alarm.

I think I need a name for the pump. It's going to be my sidekick for awhile. Suggestions?

• Posted

I haven’t any suggestions, sorry, but just wishing you all the best! I admire your positive attitude, and hope your incision heals properly. It sounds like an amazing bit of kit.
    • Posted

I've always realized that it's important to have a positive attitude when dealing with health issues (and other issues, too).

You can check it out by looking up Avance Flex.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.