Going to stop

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I am one of these people who always has an excuse I drink because I am happy because I am sad because I am bored because I am lonely because I want to be social etc etc

Since Christmas I have taken time off work due to excessive drinking my face is bloated and red and my sleep is shocking. I don't remember the last day I didn't drink at least some wine. The weekend past was ridiculous Sunday night I lay in bed sweat pouring off me unable to sleep at all with mind racing. And that was after a ridiculous amount on Saturday followed by wine on Sunday to make me feel better.

Anyway yesterday I had half a 11% bottle of wine and two vodkas and slept fine (or at least seemed to) but I am sitting here thinking enough is enough I actually want to stop and I want to be the driver at social occasions. My husband is working away tonight so I am on my own. Now I know it is dangerous to stop cold turkey but my last drink was 9 pm last night and I have no signs of withdrawal no sore head no nausea no shaky hands my appetite is fine had boiled egg and toast for breakfast home made soup for lunch and got fish for tea.

I guess my questions are would I be stupid to make last night my last drink

And

If you are going to get seizures or DT do you have warning signs eg other withdrawal symptoms before it reaches serious eg would I get shakes feel sick etc

I have never detoxed before but I feel ready! I have taken my pulse and it is 68 bpm

Any advice great fully received ta

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

No advice as such but I was drinking up to 3 bottles of wine a day and when I stopped for a while I had no withdrawals but I was taking a drug that can mask it but even in the past I've had no symptoms.

But I think you need to be careful and be aware of how you are feeling x

• Posted

Thanks for the reply appreciate it. I feel fine at the minute but am worried that I might die in middle if night! That will be anxiety then! Normally when I feel anxious I pour a drink but I am drinking diluting juice and feel ok about it
    • Posted

i had less then 3 bottles per day but still a lot incl Vodka and stopped cold turkey like you 3 yrs ago and all fine...Great story but not everybody can do this. Regards Robin

• Posted

I don't have any advice unfortunately as I have never had the DT/Seizures but I wanted to wish you good luck x
  • Posted

It can easily take 24 hours for AWS to kick in. Proper DTs, as in seizures etc. usually take about three days, they are one of the latter symptoms.

My advice as always is, see your GP and get detoxed.

• Posted

Thanks I expected that to be the case if I was someone who was going to suffer seizure or DT do they come after other symptoms? I guess what I am asking is could I be symptom free and jump straight to seizure or DT? I feel strong just now I only have vodka in house which I don't want to drink and I don't want to go and buy wine as I will drink it all then start on vodka as y end of wine I will convince myself I feel fine and it will be ok etc etc!
  • Posted

You would normally get some withdrawal symptoms like shakiness, sweating, agitation etc before you got to the point of DTs and seizures. However, once they start, it cannot be predicted how quickly they could become more serious. If you suffer withdrawal symptoms that are very difficult to cope with, you should drink and seek medical help in the form of an alcohol detox.

Wirthdrawal symptoms can come on at any time within 48 hours of the last drink. Occasionally they can start even later than that.

From what you have said about what you drank last night, your alcohol level should be close to zero now which is a good sign if you have had no withdrawal symptoms yet, but pay attention to what your body is telling you and don't ignore anything that feels worse than very minor symptoms.

• Posted

seems fine to me. YOu have been drinking a lot and now is the time for you. 2016 is your YEAR!! best of luck. You can do it. If in doubt, see your GP. All the best from Robin
  • Posted

Hi l05064, how are you? I hope you managed to speak with your GP and get help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.