Going up or switching?

Posted , 3 users are following.

ive been on 20 mg of cit for 22yrs. im 44 and now getting depressed at times and anxious again. my doctor gave me 10mg to increase to 30 total. first im an anxious mess to take another 10mg, im scared of it. she said i could try lexapro but i am just not sure. i dont want side effects again.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey hun, i know how u feel! I was in a bad state before they upped my dose of citalopram from 30 to 40 mgs I'm not gunna lie for the first 2 mabe 3 weeks of upping my dose my anxiety went threw the roof an some of my depression but it will take 4 to 6 weeks to kick mabe longer so mabe give them a try an see how u go an after a few weeks go back to it GP an tell them how u been getting on with them.

• Posted

Hey hun, i know how u feel! I was in a bad state before they upped my dose of citalopram from 30 to 40 mgs I'm not gunna lie for the first 2 mabe 3 weeks of upping my dose my anxiety went threw the roof an some of my depression but it will take 4 to 6 weeks to kick mabe longer so mabe give them a try an see how u go an after a few weeks go back to it GP an tell them how u been getting on with them.

• Posted

thank you! i hate when anxiety takes control. they gave me ativan PRN BUT I DONT NEED oops caps, i dont need to get hooked taking those. sometimes it feels like im ahead and then 20 yrs back. can i half the 10mg? maybe start with 5? then it would be 25mg total or us that pointless?

• Posted

Best thing I would do is speak to ur doctor or another one really go in depth on how u been feeling because they do say you shouldnt take more or less of the tablet with out consolting ur doctor first!! So thats what i would do if i was in it shoes but it's completely up to u hun!!

• Posted

If it's been working for 22 years at the same dose, possibly get your Vit D and Magnesium etc. checked before messing with increasing or switching them. I know first hand that those things have a lot to do with mood and anxiety.

Have you been dealing with any unusual life stresses at the moment? That too will cause these feelings for anyone on medication or not taking anything. I just know that a lot of times these feelings go away but then people have already increased dose or switched and they are getting side effects from that on top of how they felt.

Just saying check all options before increasing, it may be something simple such as lack of Vit D or Magnesium, etc.

My father has been taking the same antidepressant for over 30 years now and hes had a few ups and downs but just pushed through it and is still doing great at the same dose! 😃

Hope it works out and your feeling better soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.