Going up tonight from 30mg to 45mg Mirtazapine

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi folks, I have been suffering from depression for almost 4 months. Citalopram has not helped, and I have been on 30mg Mirtazapine for the past 11 weeks, and although my sleep has improved, my mood remains low.

Can anyone please tell me their experiences of Mirtazapine at 45mg?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jason

Sorry you have been suffering for the past four months. It can seem endless when you don't see any real improvement. Citalopram didn't help me either. After six months I switched to mirtazipine .

15mg then 30mg. I felt instantly better on 15mg and really ill on 30. So back to 15 and in the main back to feeling better. Do you think your dose may be too high? Or like me could you be suffering still from citalopram withdrawal . From information given here and from research citalopram can take many weeks and sometimes months to leave your system. In addition your body/brain is now trying hard to do its emotional and functional 'balancing act' to reach our body's equilibrium. That's where I'm at now eg. Some days fine, other days angry and tearful, some days in bed with sweats and tremors/dizziness and generally feeling unwell. I would give it another week and if no improvement then get the doctors viewpoint. I was told to take yet another different antidepressant, purely in my view that the locum doctor I spoke with Iin relation to my mood swings, didn't understand citalopram withdrawal. I got the information firstly from friends here and then backed up by my extensive research. My regular doctor advises if no improvement from an AD in three months then it's time to maybe consider something else. How did you feel on the lower dose of mirt?

Wishing you well ♥

God bless xx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

Many thanks for your detailed response! I'm onto my fourth day of Mirtazapine at 45mg, hard to say so far if it's helped as too soon, though I do have about 10 weeks 'build up' in my body of this at 30mg, so just maybe any change may not take too long.

When I was on Citalopram I went from 40mg back down to 20mg over a 2 week period. Hopefully, that has not been an issue.

What I will say is that earlier this year I was on a drug for about 3 months for a dreadful nerve pain condition I started to suffer from called trigeminal neuralgia. The drug was called Tegretol (Carbamazapine) and I took quite high doses of this for the pain. What I wasn't told though is that this drug can actually also be used to bring down people who suffer from mania! So, not knowing this, I stopped taking it once the pain stopped - I can't help but wonder if using such a strong drug for so many months has adversely affected my mood and mental wellbeing.

• Posted

Hi Jason

nice to hear from you. I do think some of the strong drugs we have stay in our systems for a very long time and give us shocking mood swings whilst our body tries to adjust from not having it. You are on quite a high dose of mirt, did the 30mg do nothing for you? I spent yesterday in bed as I was angry and tearful. No reason for it, just woke up that way. It's just over 3 weeks since stopping citalopram. Like you i tapered fast, from 40 to 20 in two weeks, on the 3rd week introduced mirt and 10mg cit. End of forth week stopped cit completely. I'm hoping it's still withdrawal from cit that is making me so extreme! (People here + research would confirm we are still having citalopram WD, which can present for many weeks after stopping) I now wonder if I should up my dose of mirt as it may counteract the withdrawal. I am very interested to hear your progress Jason ..keep it up! It's helping me and others too. I hope your day ahead will be a good one.

god bless

Lorraine xx

• Posted

Hi Jason, I have been suffering with depression for 12 half yrs but in the last 2 yrs it's hit me hard. I was taken prozac for 12 half yrs and went to the doctor and said I've hit rock bottom and the Meds I'm taking for my depression isn't working. So he started me on Mirtazapine 30mg one at night. I took it for 4wks and said I don't think it made a difference?. I went to see another Dr and explain what's happening? So she up me to 45mg one at night. I was wondering when I should notice a difference? At the moment I feel worse for ware about 3time a day. Silly thoughts come to mind and I start dewelling on it for the rest of the day. I only go bed when I'm tired because I can't sleep. Then when I finely settle I'm up and down like a yo-yo.

Another question can this medication cause night sweats I never experienced this before. I was cold and chives but when trying to warm my self up I'd sweat to the point head and hair like I've just got out of the shower?.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.