Goiter question? Advice please!

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I’ve had graves for almost a 1.5 year now (diagnosed post death in family and postpartum). I’ve been on tapazole/methimamzole, currently on 2.5mgs daily and euthyroid. My Tfrees and TSH are in normal range. 

Initially I was told I had a goiter but I never even knew it was there until after I had my first ultrasound so I’ve basically forgotten about it but for the past couple of weeks, ive been feeling a lump in my throat whenever I swallow and it’s getting more uncomfortable. Can it be my goiter growing? Is it related to my thyroid levels because my levels are “excellent” as endo put it the last time I saw her and I’ve been feeling great otherwise. Any insight or advice? I don’t see my endo for another few weeks will ask her then. Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

For what I know, basically, goiter is caused by iodine deficiency. However, there are more cases in U.S. goiters are caused by GD or Hashi's, but they are autoimmune disorders. Did you make euthyroid in 1,5 years by anti-thyroid med only? Or combined with supplements, herbs, diet, stress relief also?  What are your antibody levels? Just wonder.

• Posted

Hi Koa. Thanks for replying. I’ve been euthyroid for I think about 5 months now, and it was after I started taking acetyl L cartinine that I was able to raise my TSH. I barely it it now sort of weaning myself. I don’t take much else other than vitamin D and biotin.  I’ve had my antibodies checked late last year and confirmed I don’t have hashimoto, just graves.
    • Posted

Cecelo, If all your thyroid numbers are back to normal, why is your goiter getting bigger? I wonder if your antibodies (TSI) also down now? BTW, after you took MMI and ALC, did your T4T3 ever get down to the bottom or below the normal range? If it did, how did you get it back up and still raise your TSH to normal?
    • Posted

I’m wondering why my goiter is seemingly getting bigger or if it’s just stress...

As for my TF3&4s, they went down a bit so I lowered my tapazole dosage after TSH went up but for some reason they have stabilized so now I’m on 2.5mgs (was on 5mgs, 2.5mgs alternating prior) My TSH is now sitting at 1.6 (used to be undetectable). 

• Posted

Sounds great on your thyroid numbers. Apparently, you don't see or feel goiter from outside, right? No worry, I think. Just make sure check up with your doctor and let us know. Thanks

• Posted

Hi cecelo I'm euthyroid from graves since last year but yes I had goiter on my right side confirmed with ultrasound last year ...I'm euthyroid but I still get the pain in my throat where I had goiter I been to different doctors and they said its inflammation meaning antibodies from auto immune disease once u have them they are there u can control antibodies but can't get rid of them that's what doctors told me ..I'm still suffering with that pain but bcs blood results are normal they won't put me medication ...in ur case u should get it checked out again if u having problem in swallowing and u feeling a lump ...an ent doctor can check that out for u ....hope u feel better soon luv....let us know how it goes pls .......luv samy

• Posted

Hi Cecelo & Samy, When I was diagnosed with GD, my doctor and endo told me that I had one side of thyroid enlarged with nodules in it (from ultrasound scan). The imaging doctor recommended a fine needle biopsy for the possibility of cancer. My endo then ordered an iodine uptake scan to confirm GD diagonosis. The problematic nodule turned out to be COLD! This time the scan doctor also recommended biopsy because of the cold nodule. Then I started MMI 5mg and no relief from hyper symptoms, so I entered mostly full swing of naturalpath including diet, supplements, herbs, and stress management... now, my TSH is rising but T4T3 have come down too fast so I lowered MMI to 2.5mg (not recommended by my endo though). Surprisingly, my latest ultrasound showed some shrinkage of my right enlarged thyroid and most importantly, the image doctor stated his impression: a significant decrease in size of the nodule in question! And he had no mention of biopsy recommendation this time! 

This is just my experience on my case, but maybe worth of sharing as a reference to all you GD sufferers.

• Posted

Thanks koa when I had my ultrasound last year I had goiter meaning thyroid was enlarged on right side but no nodule urs have shrunk bcs of mmi ....but my thyroid medication was stopped after 6 weeks when I was diagnosed last year so since end of August last year I'm not on any medication apart from supplements but yes I get pain in my thyroid which radiates to my ear and right side head ...that makes me dizzy too and I get internal shaking feeling aswell

• Posted

Please get the right idea in my post that my shrinking enlarged thyroid and nodule is likely not through taking MMI, but from the overall naturopathy treatment. The effect of MMI is strictly on blocking thyroid from producing high T4 T3 and thus could reduce some hyperT symptoms. MMI has no effect on autoimmune disorder or inflammation. Hence MMI alone can not cure GD. My 2C.
    • Posted

I need to add this: MM alone will not cure GD and it can not stop goiter growing larger either.
    • Posted

Hi koa what's ur symptoms with the goiter sorry just asking if u don't mind bcs I had goiter too when they did ultrasound last year in October .....thanks samy

• Posted

Sorry, Samy. Sounds we both get confused a bit that we missed some info in our messages... Anyway, I didn't have any symptom from my enlarged thyroid and nodule. My main symptoms are from GD and hyperT condition meaning high thyroid activity. From outside my enlarged thyroid (or goiter?) is invisible and non-feelable and no pain. I touched my neck and couldn't feel it and my doctor could only barely feel it with hand but not able to sight it. Wonder what's the size of yours? You may need to talk to your doctor about continuing to treat the autoimmune problem.

• Posted

Hi koa thanks for ur reply my goiter was nt visible from outside and still its not my endo felt it when he touched my neck still its not visible and I myself can't tell either but yes I do get pain.....thanks ....samy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.