Gold injections

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone.

After responding to recent posts and also reading posts it made me think of my own course of medication tablets etc. Not the actual drugs themselves but the time period.

I was wondering what exactly is the time limit ( if there is one) for gold injections?

I am on 50mg of myocrysin a month. I've been on them i think nearly 4 years. Is this normal or would the experts be thinking of trying something different. I ask only because so far I'm more than pleased. Except for the last 4 months where i feel now it's achieving nothing. I'm worried I'm reverting back to how i was. I've had RA 25+ years. Gold has been good, just wondered how long folk taking same as me have taken gold for.

Much appreciated if folk out there in similar position could inform me.

Many thanks. Take care. Freda.x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've always been under the impression that it is less there being a specific time limit for many medications but more for how long the medication works. If something is still working well then there seems little reason to stop it. On the other hand - if it has stopped working there seems little point in continuing as then there is no benefit to counterbalance the downsides whatever they may be.

• Posted

Thanks EileenH for your reply. I suppose your right in your thoughts. Must be getting cynical in my old age. Just seemed a substance as hardware got as gold it might be awkward for the body to get rid of. But on reflection I don't suppose it would or we'd all be asking the same question about side effects with gold or different meds. Anyway i appreciate your help and advice and I'm sure your right.

All the best Freda.

• Posted

There are theories that gold could be recycled from faeces - the body gets rid of it, it doesn't just store it up although you can find it in certain tissues. It isn't injected as "nuggets" - it is a salt called sodium aurothiomalate. The "auro-" bit in the name means that it is a gold salt as opposed to a sodium or any other metal salt (chemically speaking sodium and potassium are metals).

What I didn't say before was that it is rarely used in RA these days - because other drugs are felt to work better. I wondered why your rheumy started you on it so recently?

• Posted

Hi Freda

I live in the US.   When I was having a scan the radiologist happened to mention gold injections.  She did say they are not used much any more b/c of the newer drugs avaiable.  But she knew of one older doctor in a large hosp. that still uses it and thinks it is a good medication for RA.    

But I agree with the comment that once the drug stops working as it should then it's' best to try something else.

Hope you find the answer you are looking for

• Posted

Never had gold but I have heard that the desiease can morph what

Works stops for no apparent reason.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.