Gonapeptyl injections. When do periods return?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I had my first Gonapeptyl injection yesterday, meant to shrink the fibroids before surgery. I am scheduled to take the injection 3 times.

So far I feel fine but its only day two smile

I was wondering if anyone has taken these? Did your periods stop and did they come back aftewards? I am terrified of my periods not coming back.....they have always been clockwork specific and I have never been off my period or on the pill. I am 32 so v keen to preserve fertility and have kids one day soon.

Thanks for any help or pointers!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Your periods should come back to normal within 3 months of stopping the injections.
  • Posted

Thanks for your reply....were you on gonapeptyl as well? How long for?
  • Posted

I have just had my second one on Thursday, like you I will be taking them for 3 months. I would not worry, the research online and the medical staff I have spoken say periods will return to normal within 3 months and for most within 1 month of completing the injections. Their purpose is the shrink the fibroids and make the surgery safer. There are side effects because its temporary menopause. I've had muscle and joint pain, backache, nausea, fatigue, pain at injection site and weight loss. You may experience some side effects but its all temporary.
  • Posted

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!
  • Posted

Hi there,

Its me again!

So I took my first Gonapeptyl injection on the 3rd of April. It is meant to stop periods but I had my period today. Is this weird? Should I inform my GYNAE? The same thing happened to me when I took Esmya - I took it for SIX MONTHS and during that period my monthly cycle never stopped. What is up with that? My periods are like super effiecient or am i just producing way too much Oestrogen? Maybe that is why I have firbroids?

So in a nutshell. did anyone carry on having periods whilst on Esmya, Gonapeptyl or other GNRHs?

Thank you

• Posted

Hello all,

I am just posting this to hopefully be helpful to someone out there - after taking the Gonapeptyl injections for 3 months, my periods stopped for around 4 months and returned exacty 3 months after I finished the last injection. I am sooooo pleased!

I hope this helps someone out there! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.