Good Advice to read

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all my lovely peri friends, i've just been reading an article from the Daily Mail website tilted how to sail through the menopause by Louise Atkinson.  I'm sure many of you have lots of knowledge but its got some good tips on diet so have a read girlies. Hope your all coping better.  sending my love x

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

oh dear i've just read shaznay96184 posts and i appears shes not as inpressed as i was but hay ho 
    • Posted

The notion of telling women how to "sail through the menopause" is quite bold, really. It has some good information but I'm not sure telling women as in today's topic, to follow a specific diet and this will help one sail through is necessarily a good idea. What works for one may not work for another. 

And that's just today's installment. It sets women up for possibly feeling like a failure if the results are not as expected.

Last year, I spent a lot of time practising gentle yoga, eating right(and I have still managed to gain weight lately) took up brisk walking, went back to full time work, traveled, ate all kinds of recommended supplements and you know what? I still feel like hell on many days. Granted I have just learned I'm now into hypothyroidism, that onset is a new one as my levels last year did not show it. Prior to that, I did start to feel like a failure because it seemed like no matter what I did, I was feeling worse. Until I found this site.

I think trying to tell women a very across the board way to do things and they will look and feel sexy during this time is a bit crazy.rolleyes Some women fly through this time period without so much of a tear...... and then some are like me who goes up and down....no two women are alike.

I will continue checking in here, this is where I feel comfortable learning and sharing how to hopefully get through this without completely losing my sanity.

Hope you are doing well Anxiousface!smile

• Posted

Hiya

No, don't be guided by me and my pessimism - don't forget I'm the eternal 'Glass Half Empty'-broad!!:-) I just thought it amazing that a newspaper would go to such lengths to inform their readers about this new 'phenomenon' called Perimenopause!!

I will read ever article with interest and hope that every GP's surgery in the UK has a paper copy available each day in their Waiting Rooms! Hardly likely as most GPs are probably more inclined to read the FT!!

Having said all that: am I really going to pay that much attention to a rag that thinks the extremely handsome and entertaining Jeremy Clarkson's worthy of making front page news, or that breast-feeding should be outlawed in public (I gest of course)?!!!!

Let's see how much they print that we haven't already READ on here! Think some of the ladies posting on this forum are as informed as you can get, but let's wait and see:-)

Sx

• Posted

Not read it yet but very interested so going to see if I can find it online now :-)
    • Posted

hi tracky. Yes do have a read and it may help you. it certainly opened my eyes to the sugar level bits as when i started with peri and was feeling faint daily i have a 24hr glucose tolerant test with showd i'm hypoglycemic (low bllod sugar) but i'm being to think its just another peri symptom.x
    • Posted

So I've read it and found it really interesting. My only criticism is how easy it all sounds where in reality it just isn't that easy. I have terrible sweet cravings and yes I know it's good not to have it, but it's so so hard and trying to eat 7 portions of fruit and veg is quite hard to do. I'm going to try really hard as got weight on my belly area but it is hard when you feel down and all you want is a piece of chocolate. I've just got used to blaming all my ailments on menopause now x
  • Posted

Thanks, anxiousface!  It is always good to keep up with some new info.  It was kind of you to have us posted 🌼🌼🌼

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.