Good evening

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a 13 year old daughter who had surgery on her brain and spinal cord this past December. We had tryed so many med's and nothing seems to be working. Her knew med is gabapentin... how long dose it take to work...upset mom cuz I can't help her feel better...makes me sad...thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had Chiari surgery in 2014. I've gone through just about all the drug classification s. That includes gabapentin and lyrica. I've been on many of the antidepressants and anticonvulsants. The opiates didn't help either. I've tried Pt and OT. Also, been on benzodiazepines to no avail. I've spent thousands of 💵. I wish I good tell u a good drug but I can't. Neurosurgeon told me my nerves were damaged yesterday. I've been to pain management to 4 different doctors. They couldn't do anything. I live with the pain. I hope someone can suggest something. I'm very sorry. I could sugarcoat my experience. I assume u wanted the truth. I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist as mental health support is definitely needed. I hope the best for your family.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your honesty..I don't like to have people sugar coat any thing.. awe im so sorry to hear thatsad my daughter has been in pain for over a year and they finally did sugery this past December which was to help with server headache to the point where she could not even move.. it got so bad that her lower half of her body got so weak she could not even walk.. she is seeing 5 doctors and now going to see about 4 more doctors...she is now on 300mg twice a day of gabapentin...thanks for the response back I also hope u find answers for u as well...

• Posted

Yes she did...it's just not her balance she falls all the time... she also had a small stroke as well.. and the stroke was a month after her sugery..

• Posted

No saskatoon..Ops sorry wrong amount..300mg once a day. The doctor had put 300mg twice a day but the pharmaceutical called her on it..
    • Posted

That's not a high dose of gabapentin. Of course, I'm sure for 13 it is a normal amount. I have heard a few people say

Amptripline/gabapentin are a good combination. U could check that out. Try Facebook Chiari UK it is a good group.

• Posted

Oh really ok I will check that out as well...thanks..where are u from....
    • Posted

Born in a railroad town called Waycross Ga about 75 miles north of Jacksonville Florida. Lived in Charleston South Carolina and Atlanta Georgia. Presently in Austin Texas. I worked in Risk Management for a local government until I got sick.
    • Posted

Oh wow that's cool....wish I had the time to travel to places like that....smile. I own my business as a care aide looking after the alderly.. but I also had to stop working to look after my daughter as a single parent it's hard... but some how we get thro it. I'm sure u understand.

• Posted

Yes I know how things go. Take care and let me hear if u find something that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.