Good Fats??? Help needed!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

Sorry to repeat any previous post's but I am totally confused!! I am only on day 4 and I'm already feeling fed up like nothing's happening (ok so I shouldn't be expecting to lose a stone in the first few days but I thought I would feel differently at least??)

I am really struggling to fit in 15g of fat into my meals... I read a post about nuts sometime last week but I can't find it now? I need a way of increasing my fat intake because from what I am reading from other people's experiences, I need to be eating more fat in order to get the weight loss.

If anyone has any handy tips on small changes I can make please let me know

Thanks

Lumpy x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It might have been my nut post which was.......

An easy measurable way of adding very healthy fat is through nuts. I don't normally eat a nut from one year to the next, but following a discusssion with the MAP dietician now keep some in the fridge for an easy top up - remember you have to get to about 30g of fat for the whole Orlistat thing to work properly and you just won't lose weight effectively over the long term with Orlistat if you ignore this and eat less fat.

These portions are all 5g of fat

9 almonds are 55 cals and 5g of fat

5 brazils are 108 cals and 5g of fat

7 hazelnuts are 52 cals and 5 g of fat

6 walnuts are 50 cals and 5g of fat.

If you need to grab more healthy fat at the end of the day to get to your 30g, then 6 almonds + 2 brazil + 5 hazelnuts together give you 9g of fat and about 117 calories.

....and if it is of any help at all, and if you send me your email address in a private message I would be happy to send you my food diary as an example. I can't believe it, but hopefully by my weigh-in next Thursday I will have lost 3 stone since the end of February so even if my food routine doesn't suit you, it can't be rubbish.

• Posted

Yes that was the post :-) thanks so much for reposting it for me!

Well done on your weight loss - I am now feeling newly inspired!! Will send my email address as would be great to see your food diary as you are most definitely doing something right :D

• Posted

Food diary is on its way
  • Posted

I'm still quite new and still learning how to eat properly. But I have discovered two things to add fat.

Cheese slices - not the plastic tasting ones they put on burgers but the ones from the supermarket. The calorie and fat content per slice is on the packet and varies whether it is Edam or cheddar or whatever. I love cheese so adding a bit to a meal is no problem.

The other is Petit Filou little puddings. Each pot is 90C and 3.8g fat.

http://www.petitsfilous.co.uk/index.php?page=chocolate%20vanilla%20and%20caramel&titleID=1

Fro reading on here not every one can manage cheese so maybe try it on a day you are at home. Good luck and keep going.

• Posted

Of course you don't have to aim for 15g of fat in a meal - that is just the orange oil ceiling. If you are aiming for 25-30g a day, then the average fat per meal is more like 8-10g of fat. If you have a meal with just 1 or 2g, then it is harder to get to 30-ish grams a day without blowing the 15g limit for a later meal - and (for what it's worth) my experience is that if I don't manage at least 25g of fat a day on this regime, my weight loss starts to plateau.
  • Posted

Thanks for the pointers and thanks to RR for sending through the email last night.

I am feeling even more confused today... by my calculations I had less than 20g of fat yesterday but I had my first \"orange oil\" experience last night :oops: (thankfully I was in the right place when it happened!!) I think I need to start keeping a log on everything passing my lips so I can at least then recognise any no go areas! I guess it's all about trial and error at the moment... less errors the better though me thinks! :?

At least I know the tablets are working now though :D

• Posted

This is a subject I am also interested it. I struggle to get to 30g of fat per day and, as a result, run the risk of exceeding the 15g per meal orlistat warning point.

So, for the last 4 weeks my weight loss has stuck.

This is why I am now querying my use of Orlistat.

Lelly xx

• Posted

As I understand it, if you go below the 30g of fat your body goes into 'starvation mode' and hangs on to all the fat it can. The same would happen without the orlistat if your fat intake is too low.

This would account for why I didn't loose any weight when I had gallbladder problems and was on a VERY small amount of fat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.