GOOD NEWS!

Posted , 12 users are following.

4 weeks today since TRHR and just got home from hospital after check up with surgeon. He is really pleased and doesn't need to see me again for several months when he will review the left hip.

Can now drive and was told to try manage without the crutch .

Haven't had any physio just been doing excercises from hospital leaflet.

Feeling so pleased!! 😁

6 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So glad to hear your good news. Hoping your recovery continues in the positive.

Barbara

• Posted

Wonderful new, well done you. I'm so pleased for you. I'm four weeks post op and it's so different in such a short space of time

All the best going forward x

• Posted

Hi Carol.  That's great news.  I was wondering how you were getting on.  I'm also doing really well, managing without any walking aids and am driving.  I've been having weekly physio and can really see the progress each week.  I don't have my consultant check up until 12 August but hopefully he's also pleased and  I can then go back to my "normal" fitness regime and get on with enjoying life.  I wish you a continued successful recovery.  

• Posted

That's Great news Carol, I too am 4 weeks LTHR and will not see the surgeon again for 6 weeks ...how is your balance when walking ? I still feel the need to use my cane if I leave the house or in the morning when I'm still stiff 

• Posted

Hi Kelly. I had appointment for mid August but had to change it. They could only offer me mid September or today.

my walking is ok, but I still have been using one crutch outside. I find my leg aches after walking a while but apparently I need to keep trying. X

• Posted

Oh well done I am 4 weeks today but don't see my surgeon for another 3 weeks so can't drive until he gives me the all clear.

Where are you? I didn't have physio either only the exercise sheet. Is it your right or left hip and is your car automatic?

• Posted

Hi Ann. I managed to bring my appointment forward from the 10august.

i live on Kent/ London borders. Hospital and GP tried organising physio but there's a 6 week wait.

i had op on right hip and doctor didn't even ask if I drove auto or manual. 

My car is auto. 

I hope you are recovering well. X

• Posted

Ah well that explains it my surgeon said I could only drive before the six week check up if I had an automatic car.

I had the left hip done must admit did try to see if I could drive yesterday but didn't feel comfortable getting in so gave up.

But managing to walk 2.miles (when it stops raining) only using one crutch.

• Posted

Carol

Probably best to take your surgeon's advice. I have been driving a bit with my spacer. But it's my left hip and the clutch is nit too stiff. I think I will be.more careful.now I. Have a proper hip.

Mike

• Posted

dear carol, 

I bet you feel pleased - well done, darling -

We all want to get rid of our crutches or any other walking aids as soon as possible -

me too - was so proud to show PT: Look, no hands !!!  well, he sort of got very annoyed with me and explained the following:

The hip joint implant is rotating (getting up and down, turn,  etc) in cup as well as taking pressure, like when you walk your weight will press it down

The purpose of the  crutches or walker or sticks  is to avoid a fall or sudden twist. Weight-bearing is safe immediately after surgery, but until the implants have grown into the bone, a process that takes 4 to 6 weeks, a fall or other sudden twisting force on the leg can risk implant loosening or injury to the leg.

Because the hip replacement components are designed to heal directly to bone without use of bone cement, the  stability of the implants in your body is assured by 4 to 6 weeks, at the minimum.

Then, when you feel confident and balanced, you can walk without a aids, but if there is any question, stay with a cane until you feel safe ---

Of course we all heal at our personal rate and each case is different …

Enjoy your new found freedom !!! keep us posted okay!

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Well done you. It's always a joy to hear good news and yours is the best. Good luck going forward and keep us posted.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.