Good news re: manual bend under anesthetic

Posted , 7 users are following.

dear all -- some of you have read it already, just wanted to give you all a quick update.  i saw my surgeon last tuesday in order to discuss details for when i go into hospital on november 4.  before seeing him, i saw the finnish torture queen (physio) in his practice and after putting me through some incredibly painful moves, we discovered that my bend had increased to 90 degrees, so 10 degrees more since the week before!  my finnish friend then said that if it were her knee, she would wait and try and get the most out of the knee bend before going into hospital.  and my surgeon agreed, especially when we went through his exercises and he saw the huge improvement.  so, i next see him on december 9 and the new date for the hospital stay is december 16.  but obviously, everybody hopes i will not have to go.  i see my finnish friend 3 times a week until then eek

my surgeon and i believe that the improved bend has come from my new medication cocktail.  one of the meds is lyrica and i personally think this is what is helping me.  LOTS of side effects so not entirely happy about it but as long as it helps with the bend, i will continue taking it.

in the meantime, i am also having acupuncture.  i had my first session on friday, felt rather ill afterward and then went home and slept for 4 hours straight!  have more sessions next week, so am keen to see if it helps.  i noticed on the bendy machine today, that pain sets in much, much later than in the past.  thanks to the acupuncture session?  who knows.  i am grateful in any case.  let it improve even more until december 9!

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all im waiting to have my TKR in Jan right now and already take Lyrica for nerve pain it is fantastic but im struggling with it now because it has a high tendency to make you gain weight fast im normally a size 10 always keep an eye on my weight but within three months on this im in a 14 feel so bloated have a tender stomach and it seems this is the norm for Lyrica which worries me because I have seem so many surgeons advice you take this after TKR to help with the pain I am waiting a doc app to see if I can have anything else instead while a size 14 is a very normal size apart from feeling uncomfortable the extra weight will keep coming and this is no help for my knees or my back problems so please dont think I just dont want to be a bigger size its not that at all I dont leave the house so that doesn't really worry me but the extra weight doesnt help my symptoms seems you can't win can i ask what everyone takes please Thanks Tina x
    • Posted

hi tina -- oh dear, that's not good news! not for you or for me as i am already a size 16!! i need to watch that carefully for sure. it is very interesting to hear how prevalent lyrica is in the uk, my surgeon tells me he NEVER prescribes it. clearly he will be giving me it immediately after the second operation, i.e. on my left knee. well, if your surgeon does prescribe something else, please feel free to share on here. i am always interested in hints and tips! it is very important to get the meds that work for you lined up for your post-op time.
    • Posted

Hello

i had my right TKR nearly 9 weeks ago.and I've lost just over a stone in weight  but I'm hoping to put a bit of weight back on as my clothes are hanging off me .

my appetite went at first due to meds making me sick and now I eat because I feel I ought too.

It's strange how this op affects people differently ..... But I imagine the horrific pain is  the only thing that's the same 

anyway good luck with the op

take care 

Jean 

• Posted

I didn't take the Lyrica I'd never even heard of it until it was mentioned on here 

I had codein  and paracetamol and something calle Nefopam which caused my sickness

and now at nearly 9 weeks my wonderful GP said I shouldn't be in pain now

i had to argue my point to get my usual painkillers prescribed ( co codamol) for an ongoing spine problem .

obviously he's never had a TKR 

all the best 

Jean 

• Posted

hi jean -- i know, i had never heard of lyrica either! my surgeon never mentioned it to me as he never prescribes it. never heard of nefopam either, will do some research on that.

honestly, what does he know? i am 8.2 weeks and i woke up this morning with BOTH knees screaming with pain. i went back to bed with two ice packs. i nearly couldn't walk but once the meds kicked in it got better. but not one of my better days. you are so right, let him have a TKR and then we are talking! well done for sticking up for yourself :-)

same to you, jean! all the best.

• Posted

Sorry meang to include good luck hope uou dont need a furthur op an you continue to bend smile x
  • Posted

Hi Ladies I will certainly let you know if I get something else this is whats worrying me i want to make sure I have a good painkiller post op so want to get it right now I used to take tylex but got used to them have tried most things really because of an ongoing facet problem in my back i think I have quite a high tolerance to pain but after waking up from an op to move my knee cap over I had tears streaming down my face the pain was horrendous and had to have a lot more relief in the post op room so this worries me i will tell the anaesthetist because Idont want to go through that again think im going to insist they weigh me this time they just asked me last time and I wasnt too sure so I guess they go by that regarding the anasthetic. Did you all go home in the white stockings then is it just the leg you have done or both ? Its just truing to try remember everything in advance like buying some nighties because I only wear pjs wont be able get them on and off all say so any tips advice is welcomed please xx
    • Posted

hi tina -- what a terrible experience. ugh!! do they not work with pain catheters? i.e. a catheter pumping pain relief into the area operated on? that's what they do here for TKR operations in any case.

a good, thorough chat to the anasthesist is very important. explain your fear and make them understand that this cannot happen again. they are usually very understanding, or that is my experience.

the stockings will be a major pain. but a necessary evil. i managed to get them on and off by week 2 as i was so fed up having to ask somebody to help me the whole time! it is a struggle but luckily i am quite flexible so make sure you stretch your hamstrings a lot prior to the op :-)

by day 2 i had all tubes removed and during this time i wore the snazzy hospital gown. after that i wore my usual pj's, i.e. with lose trousers which you can easily pull up for icing, showing to the nurse/doctor. i wouldn't bother with nighties but entirely up to you. i took my pillows with me (i travel all over the world with them) and my blanket as it was summer and the hospital provides a down duvet which makes me break out into a hot sweat just thinking about it! do whatever makes you feel comfortable, that's my motto!

good luck!

• Posted

Hi Britta many thanks for your wonderful reply lots of info there for me sorry its taken me so long to get back on here been struggling a little i know the machine you mention but no i didnt get one the previous times hoping i will this time im due in tomorrow morning Tuesday 6th Jan for my Left TKR the nurse at the pre assessment clinic told me they are doing the op under a spinal i have been really worried not a very good pre assesment i think when you cant speak to the anaethetist or surgeon until the day of op so i have had almost two months fretting about the spinal and being awake during it smelling the smells ect! i have read up a lot on this and it does seem the pain relief will be better this way but i suppose until tomorrow im not too sure whats going to happen  Will defo need help with my stocking lol but agree they are defo needed to prevent clots think i will struggle as i also have a back problem but thats ok i will get some help.Glad you mentioned pillow and blankets i lobve my own so will get them ready now so much to emember to take with you bit like going on your jollys without the fun part ha ha thank you hope your recoviering well now how have you been feeling? Tina x
    • Posted

all the best, tina. you will be just fine with the spinal, just make sure they are generous with the sleeping meds, tell them they can knock you out! and i agree, just like your hols minus the fun. but at least when you wake up, you will feel comfortable and comforted with having your own things with you.

i am doing really well now, tina. having it bent was the best thing i could have done. i have come off pain meds over the christmas holidays all together so that is an excellent sign. my bendy machine is going back tomorrow and i am excited to be building up the muscles in my chicken leg soon so i an get back to "normal" more and more.

my best thoughts will be with you tomorrow!

• Posted

Hi Tina 

put some talcum powder on your feet and lower leg ...the stockings then slide on 

Jean 

• Posted

Good luck for tomorrow, Tina. Try not to worry about the spinal. I was sedated and wasn't aware of anything until it was all over. Jen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.