Good News Stories

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering if it's worth people posting any good news stories about their experiences, such as recovery milestones, it may give some encouragement to members to read about how anxiety and depression can be overcome and that from the depths of despair and the thinking that you'll never recover there is light at the end of the tunnel even if it can't be seen. 

Neil 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Very good idea 😊. 

There definitely is light at the end of the tunnel.  I suffered anxiety for many years, I was very ill with it.

I wouldn't go out of the house.    I recovered even though it can be a slow process you do get better and you learn to live and laugh again and you actually appreciate life more after the struggle.

You get your life back and you can once again enjoy it. 😊

I had been well for a lot of years, just recently I have been experiencing it again but I know this is due to hormones, going through the menopause, but I know I will get through it because I have done it before and I know how well it will feel when I do.

So smile and know that this will get better, you have so much to look forward to, lots if love x

• Posted

I'm going thru menopause also and my emotions are crazy. But I will see the light soon.. Thanks for the encouraging words. Xx 
    • Posted

Your welcome Tonya,

Women that have never experienced anxiety etc.. First experience it when going through menopause.

It's surprising how bad it can make you feel but we will get there, just got to keep plodding along till it finally passes x

• Posted

Amen. Great to read positive stuff also.. Thank you xx
  • Posted

Time does heal, my anxiety started in the early 70's, continued until I came to terms with what was happening, really what was happening, not the phony crap that my mind was creating. Here it is in simple terms, that first feeling of fear will increase to the second phase of fear, breeding, fear breeding fear. 

Here is a silly thing that actually works for me, protruding my stomach, I said it was silly, but it works. I read somewhere there is a reason that protruding your stomach works during a panic attack, as long as it calms me, I don;t care about the reason, as long as it works.

The thing is to realize what your triggers are, recognizing them, and coming to terms with them.

• Posted

My hot flushes with the menopause are causing my panic attacks.  Earlier on today, I got on the tube to travel somewhere which was an hour journey,  I only went two stops and had to get off.  I had a hot flush which made me so hot,  sweat, shaky, felt faint, I just had to get off.

I ended up going back one stop and tried going shopping closer to home.   I went in the first shop began to sweat😔 my back was wet the back of my neck and I was sure I was going to pass out.  I tried keeping calm and drank some water.

This is awful, it's putting me off going places... The panic feeling is so strong. I actually feel like crying 

• Posted

My recent episode is not yet a success story. I'm still fighting but my last episode 13 years ago I can talk about with pride because it's that episode that is helping me through this one.

I had a mental breakdown when my son was just 4 years old. It was so bad that I ended up in a huge house(lodge) for people with many different mental illnesses. I was on Citalopram,Zopiclone and diazepam. I remember the weeks running up to the breakdown,feeling a little anxious but not really recognising it as something to worry about. Then there where a few trips to A+E because my anxiety worsened but I was sent home after being told that it was just anxiety and depression and I would be ok. I didn't feel ok,in fact I thought I'd never be ok again.Then one day as I came to get my  son from school,fear overwhelmed me and I just couldn't move out of the house. My mind was confused,frightened. I thought I was going mad. I rang the hospital and a physiatrist and a nurse came to collect me and took me to the lodge.

The first 2 weeks there where terrifying. I had all these awful thoughts in my head that wouldn't leave me alone. I was exhausted. I would go to the day room and just break my heart and pray that this was over. I knew my son needed his mum back but I didn't ever think that was going to happen.

I don't know how all that changed over the next 2 weeks. I just remember feeling stronger and that the thoughts where bothering me less. I started visiting friends but having the security if knowing I could go back to the lodge at the end of each day where the nursing staff where.

2 weeks later I was going home. I wasn't 100% but somehow,in my mind I knew that I would cope. I couldn't stand it in my house so a friend invited me and my son to go and stay with her so that's what we did.

There was no lightbulb moment where I thought " oh I'm better",it was just a gradual ease in my condition to the point I guess where my mind and body moved on from it.

Weeks later I moved into a new home without a thought or fear in the world. 

I'm not going to say I didn't have a few little blips in the next 13 years because I did but each if them where gone as quick as they started so I suppose they where just the normal things that everybody goes through.

This last episode has knocked me for six. I never thought I'd suffer to this extent again and I'm still struggling with the negative thoughts that this will never get better. I can't see anything ahead but I know I've been here before and got well so even though I don't quite believe it yet...,my past episode and getting well is the one thing that gives me hope that things will get better xxxx

• Posted

Nice one Gillian, It's a road well trodden I think in varying degrees by us all Gillian, I was offered a bed in the phychistric unit one one occasion but turned it down. I'm much more aware and have insight into my condition, each time I do relapse (and I know the triggers better so am going to get some councelling) I recover quicker, I'm looking into continued councelling even when I'm well again, maybe once a month in order to get things off my chest, chat to someone impartial abd non judgemental once a month even just to say everything is fine! I tend to keep my issues close to my chest so to have that would be perfect for me.

• Posted

I still feel that this will never end. I'm hoping that strength comes soon where I know I will cope. 

Even though I've been here before,I still worry that this time I won't get through it. 

Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.