Good or bad

Posted , 4 users are following.

Starting methotrexate on monday. Anyone say anything good about it. Getting nervous now.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, don't worry. Mtx can be a very good drug but not without its side effects. Best taken in conjunction with folic acid....every day but your Mtx day. Read the instructions carefully and write down anything that happens. This is often nausea, headache, sometimes mouth sores or dry mouth ( but not for everyone). Takes a few weeks to take effect too so don't expect an immediate change. Come back if you have any other questions. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Hi there,

I've had nothing but a good outcome from mtx so thought I better write somethin, haven't had any side effects and all my symptoms of RA are gone. I do take folic acid too though so could be what helps with side effects.

Either way, other than effecting my drinking life as I've had to cut down, it's been great for me.

Hope everything works out! 

• Posted

That's great to hear. That's why I said the side effects don't happen for everyone and you're a good example of that. I'm sure you taking the folic acid helps there. As you say not being able to drink much is a downside, but better than RA , so a small price to pay. 
  • Posted

Hi, with my experience, MEX injections work better for me after having MEX tablets as I was getting few side effects as such as nausea and vomitting mainly. Remember, individual people with RA react differently to medication and their progression so just listen to your body and you will know! Give a go and see how it goes after a month and so, and write down anything in your note that you have not experience before so the doctors are aware of it next time you see them. Good luck!
    • Posted

Cheers shorty07. Will give them a go. Here goes...............

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.