Good week followed by bad? Advice pls

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on sertraline 50 mg for just over 14 weeks, I have no more side effects and only started to feel a better at 12 weeks(3months in)

I started waking up every morning and just feeling good, optimistic and cheerful. Almost like I have been floating on air! I kept telling myself it was too good to be true and after about one full week of feeling really amazing I woke up to feeling down ,irritable and back to my flat self. I am annoyed and just want to know why this is happening as the meds were certainly showing signs they were finally working.its been over three months so they must have settled now I just don’t understand why I’d have a great week then feel bad again for no reason.

I have cut out a lot of sugar and junk food which I think has helped the meds work even better.

If the meds have “fixed”the chemical Imbalance and serotonin problem I’m wondering why I am up and down. I just want to feel good again! Any advice pls

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I’m not sure but our moods seem to fluctuate anyway. I’m still having anxiety at approx 2 ish months on 50mg. Maybe you are still balancing out and I know it’s horrible to feel as if you are slipping back again. Well done for the healthy diet, that is sure to help. Just hang in there as it is still early days for you to reach your optimum level 🌸

• Posted

Hi ,

I ‘ ve been on sertraline 6months now. I started with 50mg ..2 months later we increased the dose to 100 and recently to 150.

For me this is happening from the beginning until now . For instance I have 4 good days and again 3 really bad and then again...

According to my doctor, I just needed a more increased dose as soon as we find the one which is most suitable for me.

I m now waiting to see how it’s going to be with the 150mg .

What kind of side effects did you have in the beginning,?

Have you discussed with the doctor at all?

• Posted

Hi I've been on this medication for almost 3 yrs .I can have bad times aswell feeling like that for no reason. But I definitely have lots more good than bad days. Give it another few wks. No improvement see you're doc x

• Posted

My doc wasn’t keen on upping my dose as she seems to think 50mg is good enough for me, She said that anymore than 50 could leave me abit spaced out. I am happy to stay on 50mg until I hit the 6 month mark and then maybe consider upping it if I don’t feel an improvement.

It’s good to know that others are experiencing similar ups and downs. I have had the occasional wine and feel fine next day although a few days later I feel down...I am trying not to drink at all but there is always a special occasion here and there where I feel obliged to and admittedly I do miss my weekly wine, but it’s just not worth it whilst I’m trying to establish whether it’s related to my mood dropping.

I had bad diarea and nausea mainly with loss of appetite for the first month then it slowly tapered off, but that was it in terms of side effects. Plus a rumbling stomach where I felt constantly hungry at times...also very surreal,lucid and detailed dreams which I seem to still get!

Sometimes they are abit crazy and scary too.....

• Posted

I was on 50mg for 16 weeks and just increased to 100 as was starting to slip back a bit . So far feeling better with no side effects to bother me . I can relate to what you are going through but maybe try 75 mg and see if that improves your issues x
    • Posted

Hi John,

Do you mean one 50mg tablet then a quarter of another tablet to make up to 75mg?

I’m wary of doing this incase I don’t split the tablets correctly and take the wrong amount. Do you think I should consult my gp first.it has been three months surely if I’m not seeing a significant improvement by now I should consider upping my dose?

I’m just not sure how I’m meant to be feeling on sertraline once it’s truly working...happy everyday?🤔

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.