Got a Rapid HIV Test, was expecting positive, got negative instead

Posted , 4 users are following.

I thought I was exposed to HIV eight years ago, after having unprotected sex with someone I just met. But since I live in a third-world country without any HIV hub nearby, all I could do was stop engaging in sexual activities. I assumed I contracted the disease because I got a fever three days after the intercourse. A few weeks later, I had numerous red allergies on my back. They went away after a couple of weeks of applying treatment cream. Since then, I've had numerous symptoms that can be connected to HIV such as:

• lasting sore throat (I can't even tolerate most spicy food anymore)
  • occasional cold sweats
  • dry skin (it was as if I was using one of those skin-peeling beauty products)
  • swollen lymph nodes
  • I have white spots on my tongue
  • I feel tired even if I just woke up & I get fatigued a lot easier
  • I experience join and muscle pain when I exert myself
  • I get dandruff too easily, including on my eyebrows
  • when I scratch my skin, it turns red so easily. It wasn't like this before
  • I also experience occasional itching on my anus

It is to be noted though, that I still don't get sick easily. There was even a time when 6 of my officemates got the flu and I, along with another officemate, were just fine. We basically worked for almost 2 weeks with several people in the office sick and we didn't get the flu.

A month ago, I learned that an HIV Treatment Hub has been opened by the government in a neighboring city. I went there last week and got a test for HIV, Hepatitis B, and Syphilis. The test turned out negative. And the doctor said that the test is 99.98% accurate. I was prepared to get ART treatment. But now that I've tested negative for HIV, I have no idea why I've been experiencing these symptoms for the past 8 years.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi that's absolutely fantastic news

Could it be that you have been so afraid that you had contracted hiv that you had psychosomatic symptoms, it's very possible.

Just celebrate the fact that you didn't and also because you have been so careful it's kept you safe.

• Posted

Well you sound like you are suffering with dermatitis or eczema and possible allergies. There is a possibility you could have an autoimmune disease. I don't know what health care you have in your country but I would suggest speaking to a doctor about your symptoms if you can. It could be something like celiac disease where you have an adverse reaction to gluten, or possibly lupus, but I am not a doctor so I can only give a suggestion and there are a lot of illnesses that your symptoms could be related to. There are certain websites where you can talk to doctors online for free. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, First of all I would like to Congratulate you that your results came out negative.

Can you tell us which HIV test did you take i.e Antibody Test or RNA Test

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.