Got crohn's disease and chickenpox!

Posted , 5 users are following.

In september last year i was diagnosed with crohn's. I am 19 and never had chicken pox before but suddenly got it now and have been very ill. Is this more serious for me because of my age and because I have Crohn's?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh, no! sad  I hope you're over the worst of it soon!  There's so much that's being discovered connecting the gut and immunity/overall health. You may be suseptible to all kinds of illnesses. As for being 19, that is old for C Pox - although I think the bigger concern is later in life if the virus turns into "shingles". For now, it has to run its course, which is pretty miserable from the sound of your post. sad

Please take very good care of yourself!  

• Posted

Beth,

I don't know the right answer but I wanted to offer some support anyway. Chicken Pox from what I understand can be more difficult to deal with as you get older but I'm not certain about Chrones and Chicken Pox combined, I'm sure it must be hard on you either way and I hope that you feel better soon. You could try something like calamine lotion to help with the itching and tylenol for fever if you have one. Rest and fluids as well. Take Care, I hope that you have a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hey beth,

I'm sorry to hear that. Me and my sister both have Crohn's disease. I had my chicken pox when I was a child however my sister had it at the age of 17. I've never seen her so bad. So she went to our consultant when the pox settled down. He said that for some unknown reason Crohn's disease patients can not tolerate chicken pox very well. So he advised me to not be near her even though I've had chicken pox before (don't understand why) But there's really no medication for it to help you manage your symptoms as your body may reject it whilst fighting he virus. He told her just to rest and stay calm don't stress

Well i thought I should just share that with you as maybe some information for you to know that your not the only one and I guess it's normal.

Hope you feel better and don't stress out just rest yourself and your bound to feel better.

But if you feel worse or you just can cope with it anymore I'd advise you to maybe call you consultant or you ibd nurse

• Posted

I have probably had crohn's all my life and I had chicken poxs when I was 42!!!!! You'll be fine, hope you're feeling better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.