Got fired today...

Posted , 10 users are following.

I posted two weeks ago about my "new" symptoms being blamed on my fibro, even though an MRI showed white leisions on my brain. I was so ill last week I could not go into work. I offered to work from home but my boss refused. Mind you, another person in our department is allowed to work from home. 

Today I went back to work and was fired about 2 hours after I got there. The reasons were ridiculous, but she had to have something since she could not fire me for being sick. She fired me because (1) I did not personally walk 3 blocks to find out if people attending a meeting we were holding could part at this parking lot. Rather I relied on our security department and the president's assistant who told me we could not park there. (2) I sent my boss a map for the upcoming meetings that showed the school on the wrong block. I asked why she hadn't double-checked it before she sent it out. Her answer was "I'm not debating this with you." (3) I asked to work from home. 

Of course I am at a very, very low point right now and I'm hoping to get some words of wisdom from my fibro friends on this board.  I will not have insurance as of August 1st, and no income either.  

It's very, very depressing.

Cheryl

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl. So sorry to hear about you losing your job. Do you have e a union rep. Or can you speak to a solicitor.

I lost my job 4 years ago. It is hard but you have to allow yourself a couple of days to absorb what has happened and then take a breath and fight them for everything.

Take care of yourself and keep coming on here and venting if you need to.

• Posted

Thank you so much Janet. I am numb right now, but am already making lists of who to contact, who to write to at the place I was just fired from, and how to go about getting all the coverage my family needs. 

My job was non-union, but a solicitor may be in the very near future. 

I appreciate your thoughts!

Cheryl

• Posted

Im in US but do you unemployment in UK.? I did that here for a yr while looking for another job. Food stamps or other assistance. Maybe you were suppose to be gone fr that job so you can find the rt one. God works in mysterious wsys. I felt low for awhile. Mine was due to sick kids all the time. I dont have a nanny like the Dr I was working for had!! He said I was unreliable. I had only missed 3 days out of a yr!! I was part time to. No insurance. Glad I left. I ended up staying at home caring for my sons an my husband worked. We didnt make alot but I was glad to take my kids to school an home an if sick I could care for them. Still no insurance. Never have gone back to work. Its been 6 yrs. Boys are 18 an 13 now. But now caring for elderly parent's! I have fibromyalgia an depression/anxiety. Cymbalta helped me with pain. On generic. Goodluck.

• Posted

How lovely for everyone here to be able to connect even from across the world. It helps us all to know that we are never alone in our struggles. Courage to all you lovely gals! Try not to isolate yourselves even if that is all you feel like doing. There is always 'someone' you can confide in and trust. We absolutely need that human contact. xxx

• Posted

I agree 100% Magpie. This board has saved my sanity. You all have helped me through a devastating time.  I thank you all. 

I raise my cuppa to you. smile

• Posted

So sorry for you, that's really not ok, I'm sure you can still take them to court for unfair dismissal as 2 of the above mentioned reasons relate to not being well, the walking 3 blocks and the asking to work from home. Both presumably were done due to your illness and to me that means they are sacking you because of your failure to do things due to your illness?

I'm guessing u r not uk based due to mentioning insurance so I don't know how it works were you are based but I know in the uk you would have basis for no unfair dismissal case based on what you have said.

good luck, I hope it all goes well

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

I am not UK based, but I wish I were. smile  In the US, as you know, we either get insurance through our employer or we pay astronomical amounts for insuring privately. 

Right now I need to get over the numbness and find out all of my options, one of which may be getting an employment lawyer. Sadly, I don't like to do that because I have taught at this institution off and on for 20 years. The current job I had was not teaching, but rather managing a grant. I wish I would have stuck with teaching. It's my life's love and work.

Cheryl

• Posted

Hi Cheryl. I know all of the ladies are feeling bad for you dear. I know you don't have much energy at the moment and being emotionally drained certainly does not help. But Cheryl, you are stronger than you think. You have already been through many obstacles in your life, I am sure. All Fibromyalgia people have had unbearable stress at times and that often brings on the condition. Just don't despair now Cheryl. I am sure that there is a way around this current trial. Don't give up. Make sure you are taking some vits or supplements at the moment. It will help give you stamina. Even a multivitamin will help.Talk to family and friends. Get some input. Are you married or single? We live in Countries that do take care of their citizens Cheryl. Not like some third world Country where women are often left without any assistance. So chin up Cheryl. You WILL find a way through this. You are not alone in your situation, so knowledge is everything. Research, phone, talk, reach out. There is a solution and You Will get through this! Keep us posted. Maggie xx

• Posted

Thank you Magpie, so very much. 

I am already emailing old contacts, applied for unemployment, and discussing options with my doctor. My boss knew I had fibro and the other condition so she was VERY careful not to discuss my work absences.  Truthfully, this is probably a blessing in disguise. This person was very difficult to work with, very scattered and I was supposed to pick up the pieces, even though I had NO idea what the pieces were. smile  Way too stressful.

I try very hard not to feel sorry for myself. Right now I feel more numb and bewildered, but I am marching on. Can't deny I'm also angry, but that will pass. 

Thank  you for your advice!

• Posted

You know what helps me Cheryl especially when I am upset. I Journal all my feelings. It really releases a lot of that emotion and then I can think clearer. It is normal to be upset! Goodness! But you will find that there is a silver lining among those dark clouds sweetie. I had to quit my job at 55. Dealing with difficult and critical people absolutely drained me. Also they kept giving me more work because I am kinda the nurturing, 'have trouble saying no' type, But it was a blessing when I finally recognised my limitations. One day at a time girl! As I said, you Will get through this hurdle. Big hugs! Maggie xx

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, sorry to hear you have lost your job. I too was in a similar situation I was sacked when I was off sick from work. I took them to tribunal with the help of a solictor and won on the grounds of disability discrimination as they did not offer flexible working hours and working from home, and assess my situation properly. So there is hope to fight your case and win. If you feel you have been unfairly dismissed contact a employment solicitor I don't know if they have like legal aid like they have in he UK (which is when on very low income I.e benefits and get legal help with Costs) and get there advise.' As they be will able to advise you on whether you have a strong case or not. Wish you all the luck X 

• Posted

Thank you Anni, I will be researching my options in the next few days. I don't like to go against this university, but I may have no choice. 

I appreciate your insight!  I am so glad you won, too!!!!

• Posted

Unfortunately Cheryl sometimes you have to put yourself first, I was employed by a friend but all they did was put themself first and did not want to pay the sick pay I was left potless and couldn't cope financially hence why I took legal action. So do not feel bad going against your company if they have dismissed you. My company pulled every excuse out the bag that I was not permanent not good enough but the evidence stacked against them and they lost. You do what you need to do to improve your quality of life because remember all they have done is look after themselves and put them self first. It really set me back loosing my job but try stay positive if they can do that they are not worthy of working for take on the battle if you have a strong case and get what you deserve xx 

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your job loss sounds very unfair to me hope you get some help from a solicitor that doesnt cost the earth. We all know how hard this illness is and how people that cant see an illness think there is nothing wrong.good luck with your future maybe this is a way to get back to teaching which you love. All the best cheryl xx
    • Posted

Thank you Linda. Getting back into teaching is exactly what I have been working on all afternoon. I miss it. Very much. I love college students and their inquisitive, brilliant young minds. Did not have many flares all the time I taught! 

Thank you again for your kind words. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.