got my date

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi to u all again  i got my date now for 28th November  so only 6 days to go, im still very nervous  but i dont think as much nervous after all the messages i got from all u lovely caring ladies  its good to talk . im having a total Hysterectomy after they found over active cells in my womb . which i understand is not cancer but if left it will turn into cancer si it has to be done its not the op im scared about its the after afects like pain and not being able to pee  those are my main worries  .  I   just did to much reading on google,  scared myself silly   thanks for everyones advice since i came on this site  Paula  x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Best of luck to you, Paula!  Please rest assured that the doctor and staff will want you to be pain free.  You will be carefully monitored.  Also, they will make sure that you are able to urinate before you're released.  

Surgery has come a long way.  I'm not saying it's a walk in the park, but you'll come through fine!  

Let us know how you do!

• Posted

Hi Paula, I was the opposite to you, scared of the op and not worried about afterwards!  I had total hysterectomy in September.  You will get lots of pain relief in hospital and try and take note of what you're given and what time so you can carry it on at home.  I stopped the Codine straight away as it makes you constipated so not good after this op.  I had paracetamol and ibuprofen every two hours for the first couple of weeks.  Be strict and stick to this and you'll be fine (even take meds if you wake in the night helps too).  The pain wasn't that bad, I found it was the overwhelming feeling of exhaustion, recovering from a major op I guess.  Keep reminding yourself you're doing okay and keep walking it helps release the wind which is a pain too!  Peppermint tea and Colpermin tablets helped me with this as does lactolose to help keep you 'going'!!!  Your bladder may feel bruised for a few weeks (mine was about 6 weeks).  It's bearable and you'll deal with it fine.

Be kind to yourself and sleep when you feel shattered.  I had 2/3 sleeps a day for the first week or so.  Leave anything that's not urgent and delegate to family / friends or anyone who'll help.  I still do food shopping online as pushing a trolley is too much even now. 

Think positively each week you'll be that much better and by Christmas you'll be over the worst.  Use the next few days to get your shopping done and prepare yourself.    

Good luck and keep on the forum x

• Posted

Hi Paula, good luck with your operation! I lost my dad on 28th of May this year and was booked in for my full hysterectomy for 1st of June, I came so close to cancelling as it had been canx twice before, my family talked me into going ahead even at such a sad time! My dad's funeral was 14 June, I came home the day after my op and I knew I had to do everything I was told or I wouldn't make my dad's funeral, though I'd have gone in a wheelchair if I had to! I did as I was told and I was up and about with no problem on the 14th! I am now back to normal daily life and I'm even going skiing in January, every woman heals differently but take each day as it comes and your body will tell you what you can and can't do, good luck love, I know how daunting it can be but it really is the best thing I've done, apart from having a broken heart the rest of my body is all healed and so much better than it was before hand! Xxxxxx

• Posted

How are you doing Paula?  Hope everything went well.  I am sure it did.
  • Posted

Hi Paula, I came for another reason and spotted your post so just thought i would say I had a full Hysterectome 14 years ago and from day one had no probles ok the usual recovery but it was nice to be loked after for a while smile please dont worry it will be fine .Jane 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.