Got my surgery date for my hepaticojejunostomy

Posted , 52 users are following.

Hi Guys

I heard back from the Heptobiliary surgeon today

I am having my hepaticojejunostomy next tuesday sept 6th at University of Chicago.

I am nervous..but hopeful that this long nightmare of sickness and pain Might be coming to an end soon.I know it will be a hard recovery..But anything is better than nausea,fatigue daily.

2 likes, 217 replies

217 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

I had my hepaticojejunostomy surgery on 16 Dec 2016. I had bile duct injury during cholecystectomy to remove my gallbladder due to stone on 15 Dec 2016. had a series of cholangitis on Feb, July and Oct 2017. 

In my country I could not find anyone or any information about any other person who had the same case as mine. I would like to have information about  food which is good for me. After the surgery I am okay. My appetite up to now is also good. no major pain, been eating well and doing well. I have started working since Mac 2017. My only concern is Cholangitis. every time  I have it I  will have to stay in hospital and take antibiotic. My surgeon told me to avoid processed food and oily food. I would appreciate if anyone could advise me about the food, exercise and supplement which is good for me.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi i had my hepaticojejunostomy in april 2016 due to bilary stricture during liver donation, otherwise i was healthy before that. All i experience now is bloating intestinal rumbling, cant each much as i used to. Its been 6 months i am experiencing all this. Also i have lost libido. Diminshed sexual desires, as i am only 25 years old now. Went to doctors they said its all in my head. Prescribed me refaxamin 550mg for 14 days. 

WHAT is your age yati? 

• Posted

I guess I really want to know how bad the pain level is the first few days in the hospital! I’m nervous of course and am scared of how dang bad the pain is. 3 days until mine. I’m 45
    • Posted

I had open hepaticojejunostomy the pain is obviously more as compared to laprascopic one. But they will give you pain killers, stay positive as you are gonna be alright after this procedure everything will be fine smile. I recovered with in few months. Its been 1.5 year for me no pain at all. Gained 14kg of weight aswell. Are you male or female?
    • Posted

Female and mine is open too. Not laparoscopic. I’m just concerned because they said I’ll be in ICU for a day or 2 and I guess it’s all kind of hitting me now. Surgery has been scheduled for 7 months because I didn’t want it during summer so now here it is. 48 hours away 
    • Posted

Hi Kredfan

My pain was well controlled. I tried an Epidural first which didn’t work at all for me - so I was on IV pain medication- I had an NG tube for the first few days to keep the nausea away since the epidural didn’t work on me. I don’t remember really anything for the first three days or them removing the NG tube. Hopefully your doctor is not scared to give you the pain meds needed. I can honestly say I really only had discomfort for the first 2 -3 weeks (they sent me home with oral pain meds that worked great)!

• Posted

Mine was open and not laparoscopic- I didn’t have to be in ICU and the drain tubes from my abdomen came out on day four for one and day 6 (release day) for the other one- I was up walking to bathroom on second or third day - of course with help! I only had the cathator in for a very short time during surgery and maybe the first and into the second day
    • Posted

Hello all! I am on day 5 post op. I am home. I struggle with pain meds. Itching, puking etc even with anti nausea meds. I am going the tylenol route. It’s very very painful but better than throwing up. I struggle with patience so this being non laparoscopic I just want to feel better. This pain is no joke! Coughing, sneezing, hiccups are now a nightmare. I think I am a tough cookie but this is testing me because some hours I just wanna cry because the muscle spasms in stomach are very bad today. Tomorrow is a new day and I’m so glad for this forum and hearing from us rare people. Here’s to hoping day 6 maybe breathing comes a bit easier. Still can’t eat much and weighing 129 pounds I’m feeling sad too
    • Posted

Hello friend - I am sorry you are having such a hard time with the pain - nausea and all. I know the eating thing is tough as I still do not have an appetite but do drink the shakes if you don’t want to lose weight - might help with the nausea with pain meds. Please talk it out if you need to lean on us - very few people understand this surgery. Thinking and praying for you pain to ease & your recovery to be quick!

• Posted

Hello Erickh,

How long did it take you to gain some weight back? I lost like 15 pounds after this surgery.

• Posted

I’m on day 3 in the hospital. Epidural came out and oh boy. This is pain. Trying not to use stomach muscles is impossible. My surgery went well I’m just feeling very deflated tonight because of the pain. I hope this gets better quickly 😞

• Posted

Dont worry you’l be fine inshAllah smile

Wish you a speedy recovery

How you doing now?

• Posted

Day 10.... soreness slowly starting to get better. I can move a bit easier. Food. Ah food. How i miss you. Still can’t eat very well but I’m staying positive that it will improve as well. I’m weighing 122 today and do not want to keep dropping weight. No cancer in the cyst, so that’s fantastic.🖤

• Posted

hi all! has anyone have a stomache that growls all the time since surgery? mine seems to have its own language. I am a year and a few months post op on my roux en y. how is everyone doing?

• Posted

I too am looking for information on this surgery.  I have been diagnosed with a 4.7 cm type 1 choledochal cyst.  I am asymptomatic for the most part.  I've had slightly elevated liver enzymes at times and also fatty stools. The doctor advised me to have the cyst removed because it can lead to cancer.  I have not yet met with the surgeon for a consultaion.  How long will this procedure keep me out of work?  I am a teacher and on my feet a lot. Really don't want to wait until summer to have the procedure done. 

• Posted

I waited 5 months to have my surgery. I own a restaurant so I had to wait for the slow down. Mine was around the same size. I am on day 13 post op. I felt great but I didn’t want to risk cancer either. I feel pretty good but you are getting your stomach cut open so my surgeon told me 1 month off for sure so I’m hoping that’s it. I just had it done so if I can help please don’t hesitate to ask because I was pretty scared and this awesome forum helps immensely 🖤

• Posted

They also can’t just remove the cyst I was told. I had a type 1 as well and they remove your entire duct 
    • Posted

I took 2 months recovery but also have a lot of underlying illnesses- Beta Thalassemia, asthma and diabetes so it generally takes me longer to recover from things. I wasn’t quite ready to return to work at 6 weeks but felt really ready at 8. They did remove my entire bile duct and some of my stomach. This is a great place to ask people who have had this surgery-I searched and searched until I found this one. Ask anything and someone will help answer.
    • Posted

Thank you for your replies.  I did finally meet with the surgeon.  He explained that it is an open surgery and a fairly large incision.  He also told me I would spend 4-5 days in the hospital and 6 weeks out of work.  He said I would be in a lot of pain. I asked him how the pain compares to a C-section (becasue I've had one) be he could not answer that question.  (To anyone who has had both surgeries and can provide some input as to how they compare, I would greatly appreciate it!!!) He also thinks I should not wait for the surgery because he does not agree that I am asymptomatic.  He thinks I may see some improvement to my symptoms.  The surgery sounds so scary though, and I keep reading about people who have probems with vomitting and the like for a long time after the surgery.  I'm afraid of making matters worse, but then again, bile duct cancer scares me too!  

• Posted

I am 3 1/2 months post op-everything has been fine - the bathroom symptoms I had prior to surgery have dissipated. I do still have stomach cramps if I eat something that is fatty or greasy; so I try to stay way clear of those things. I did finally get my appetite back and stopped losing weight but also have not gained any back. Which is a good thing. Hopefully a lot of your questions have been answered with all the posts and replies. Good luck and best thoughts!!
    • Posted

I had mine done November 15th. They told me 6 weeks and I went back after 4, and my job is on my feet all day. My scar is only 3 inches because my surgeon is a genius 😀. Yes it’s alot of pain. I hate pain meds so I opted for an epidural the 4 days I was in there. After that I took the hard road of only ibuprofen because pain pills make me sick.  I could eat anything after 2 weeks within reason and small amounts. I only lost 6 pounds which is good because I’m tiny and other than the scar being a bit sore still it’s ok and you’ll get through it. The biggest pain for me was the first 10 days of getting up and not using your stomach muscles and also the spasms nearly dropped me at times. Just remember each day it gets better and better. I didn’t sugarcoat this because it’s still new to me and I really relyed on this group to get me through it and they did💜

• Posted

Hello Kredfan, was wondering how your recovery process went? I'm having this surgery soon and I'm a bit nervous. Wondering how long I'll be out of work?

• Posted

It will work out. Frankly 2 weeks of pain but a light and the end of the tunnel. Stay strong and know that it needs to be done. Read all these posts on what to expect and deep breath and move forward. Keep us posted! I’m 4 months post op and feel great except for the itchy scar that’s still healing! I eat anything and aside from still the scar being tender when I overdo, it’s all good 💜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.