Got my walking boot on today!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Pretty exciting news from my Doctor Who was very pleasantly surprised at how well I healed. She wants me to be able to put 100% weight on it by Sunday, with the help of crutches. I can actually get up and down my stairs and now I can drive To the store on my own. So I'm optimistic and according to my doctor should be in an ankle brace in 6 to 8 weeks. For those who are soon to graduate just like me have no worries because those first few steps are not as bad as you think.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Awesome achievement. How good it makes you feel is amazing. I love going to my car. The independence feels so good. Don't forget level walking. I've turned into a total nag about the evening up your good leg with boot height but so many people suffer if they don't. 

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I'm with Jenni, I was in my moon boot on and off for a total of 17 weeks, no one told me about even up or heel lift. I am now seeing the Chiropractor twice a week to get my body back into shape after walking in the moon boot. The physio who I only saw on Monday said I should have had a heel lift. Shame someone didn't tell me that in the beginning.

On a happier note, it is nice to be out of the moon boot, and walking in joggers, for the time being, the physio gave me a pair of compression socks to help with the swelling. Feel like an old lady however, they do help. 

It seems that most of my time now is between the physio and the chiropractor and visit to the pool for hydrotherapy. I will be walking properly by July. 

I had an ankle fusion in January and had hardware removed late April.

• Posted

I brought my air cast sock and my even up to put on my tennis shoe.  I learned about that from reading other people's recommendations. It really gives me stability and safety. Tomorrow my house cleaners are coming to give my condo a good Spring cleaning.  Then I plan to walk down to the Marina (it's only about 100 yards), sit on a bench and enjoy the scenery.  If you can believe it, we're getting rain on Thursday, but I plan on taking a scenic drive with my dogs up the North Coast for a few hours. This experience has made me realize how precious life is and not to squander the ability to be independent and grateful!

• Posted

Good for you. I plan on having my screws taken out after the holidays. 
    • Posted

This is the very reason I'm a nag. I get so angry with the surgeons who recommend the boot the people who sell the things and the pysio. Wouldn't you think one of them would inform their patient. My gp is very young and when I asked her about it she had not heard of it. But on my last visit she had researched the "even up shoe" and the secondary injuries. She will now be recommending it to patients with our injuries. She is also baffled by patients not being told. If I can help people by nagging I will continue to. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.