Got referral to Orthopaedic for knee replacement but my BMI is in obese category, need help!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi,

I have severe osteoarthritis in both knees. I have had it for the last 10 years. I have recently been referred to an orthopaedic, and I have to choose a hospital in London. My weight is in the obese category because i have had limited mobility for the last couple of years and could not lose weight.

I am really worried about the operation because i have heard horrible stories about it going wrong for people. But I have no choice now because I cannot walk.

I was wondering

1. if anyone in my weight category had any success, and how long the recovery took?
  2. Are there any NHS doctors or hospitals you recommend?
  3. Is there any thing i should do leading up to the operation?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi. I, too, am overweight. My BMI is 34 (I'm 73) but my surgeon was happy to operate on me last month. I'm now 7 weeks post tkr and stopped using a stick last week and I'm driving again!. I get tired but walked around 2 large shops today for the first time with no stick or crutch. Before surgery I'd been on crutches for a few months as I simply couldn't walk. The only difficulty now is going upstairs. Coming down is much easier. The surgery has given me my life back! Any suggestions for helping with climbing stairs would be helpful

• Posted

That's amazing to hear, well done. It is quite early, stay strong and i wish you a speedy recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.