got told i have crps but then they change there mind need help 7

Posted , 5 users are following.

After 2 surgerys i was told i have crps so they wanted me to have a block done didnt work so they sent me for another block and the pain got worse now there telling me since the block didnt work i dont have crps and said theres nothing we can do sorry have a good one so now im not sure what to do anymore im so depressed about it its in my right wrist and up to my elbow and the pain has gotten worse since my 2nd block any advice would be so helpful thank you

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Since developing CRPS 3 years ago , I have done lots of research  myself, spoken to many experts and come to the conclusion that at this point in time there is no cure for this debilitating condition. However last week new figures were released in the US showing that pain relief is very ineffective in treating CRPS.and comes with many undesirable side effects.  There are many new areas of investigation underway world wide that show great promise. The general conclusion amongst experts seems to be that this is a condition that rewrites the brain hard drive.MRI results show considerable brain changes once CRPS develops.  Some treatments being targeted  at re wiring the brain back to normal are Mirror Box Therapy, Noi research in Australia sell this or you can fashion one yourself. Graded Motor imagery, which tricks the brain.  High levels of Vitamin C are being used worldwide as is Intra venous Immunoglobbulin . Calmare pain program is another. All these treatments are scientifically tested and there is much information online. I've found that you have to do a lot of research yourself and tell Doctors who have blinkers sometimes and tend to fall back onto conventional treatment ie meds, even though they don't help. Every ores on with CRPS is different therefore what works  for one won't necessarily work for  another. Life can  become an endless  procession of visiting Dr after Dr , pain clinic and consultant Merry go round.. Very depressing.  I will be trialling IV immunoglobulin in the next few months , fingers crossed. Good luck to all those fighting this very difficult battle and of course your families who struggle as well.
  • Posted

Hi, Yes cups does effect family as well, very hard to understand the pain suffers go through, I do think some become dependant on pain killers and find it hard to stop taking them. Any advice welcome on this, consultant's seem treluctant to advise stopping meds if they haven't got an alternative solution.
    • Posted

There's is a book called chronic pain by doctor hoochmond.  I hired it from London main  library. I took it to my old g.p to read 
    • Posted

Thanks Ali I'll have a look, it's a frustrating condition for people to suffer with what appears to be mixed up approach to diagnosis and treatment
    • Posted

Chronic Pain:

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, Prevention, and Management 

by Hooshang Hooshmand.

It's an excellent book my hubby  had read it.and found it very interesting. 

• Posted

Your treatment sounds awful,my wife's early treatment was very good. Regular physio to try and stimulate the limb daily for the first 3 months. Unfortunately treatment did not work so they tried stelate ganglion blocks,apology for spelling, this procedure was very distressing for my wife and gave some very short term relief. She has since tried lidocaine infusions but these too only gave short term relief. Now taking a cocktail of zomorph and pregablin,amiltriptyline and anti depressent.

The right hand is now distorted due to muscle wasting and contraction.

Been discharged from 3 pain clinics and is now under a neuro/gastro consultant to help with severe constipation

In the past my wife used to quite literally shatter teeth,caused by gritting due to the pain.

Also had an Ace procedure done but developed crps in the area of op.

Really wish I could persuade her to try and bin the meds and try alternative treatments.

It's easy for me to say but I'm not the one in pain.

• Posted

I had to bin all my meds as the side effects actually hospitalised me . I have had to find other treatments instead.  There is another treatment called   mindfulness that improves pain tolerance by 64% which is significant. I had one visit to a  pain clinic and saw the psychologist who recommended and explained it to me. It helps  me.  For extreme  pain Ketamine infusions for some people seem to be very helpful.  Your wife sounds like she is suffering greatly, I wish  something more could be done to help.
  • Posted

I wish i didnt habe to take all the meds and everything bc i cant do the things i love to do my husband and i love going to the gun range but i cant shoot anymore bc of the pain i get so depressed im only 26 i want to go back to enjoy my life again and my husband is so supportive but i just feel like i fail with everything
    • Posted

I had to change my lifestyle totally. I can only walk with a walking frame, or I'm in a wheelchair, I used to play sport  and travel with my hubbie all the time. Now I am virtually housebound. Unfortunately I have had to accept the limitations CRPS imposes on me. It helps to try and find things to do that don't put a strain  on you or exacerbate your condition. It is very very hard, and I cried a lot the first year I developed this. I felt the same about being a failure.. But strangely adversity sometimes can make you stronger, discover different things in life you might never have noticed and bring you and your loved ones closer !  The thing is even though it's soooo hard , never ever give up. There is a saying I like, " It doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop"
  • Posted

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, Prevention, and Management 

by Hooshang Hooshmand

I lookedup the book and it says the book cost 288.00 bucks 

• Posted

Hi.no... go to your local library. Ask them to order it for you.they can do this . Tell them this book is at London main library.  If was the only place where i could get it from in the uk. Not dur where your from tjou.You can hire it for as long as you need.you nay have to pay alittle more money.but very much  worth it. Theres no need to buy the book. Its a big thick book. So ask someone to go with you to pick it up.

Gentle hugs aliy x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.