Got told to test again in 4 months??

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I did a private test in June online / through the post to check my thyroid profile and it came back 10.2pmol/L (FT4) and 7. 97 mIU/L (TSH). It was recommended I see my GP so I did in August, they didnt tell me what my results were, they only text me to say repeat again in 4 months so i'll be getting them checked this week.

Does anyone know why the GP would've just told me to test again? Do they not think I need treatment? I recently read that if both results are abnormal, which mine were in June, then I need treatment. Obviously I trust my GP's blood test more than the at-home finger prick test I did but now I'm worried I have untreated hypothyroidism

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

have you had antibodies tested for hashimotis, sometimes doctors like to keep checking results until absolutely sure, my thyroid was borderline for quite awhile until I was finally put on meds, however if you test positive to antibodies then you have Hashimotis, auto immune which means replacement hormone for life.

• Posted

I haven't no, the NHS website says I'll only be offered the antibody test if my GP suspects I have an autoimmune thyroid condition. I doubt they do because I literally have no symptoms whatsoever (I only went to the GP because of the private test results and I only did the private test out of curiosity). I called my GP yesterday and they said my results were borderline back in August so I'm assuming that's why they said test again. I will definitely push for an antibodies test though, thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.