Gout

Posted , 5 users are following.

I at 36 am relatively young for Gout but have suffered from it for almost ten years now. Too much booze for too many years, a poor diet and the fact my father has it has also ensured I suffer from it.

I recently had a very bad attack and I can honestly say that I really wanted to chop my foot off. :shock: However after several visit to the Dr I finally found one that appeared to take me seriously. In the past I have tried cherries, cherry tablets, celery, celery tablets and all sorts of odd diets, but it simply does not work. However, my Dr gave me Solpadol 500mg pain killing tablets and a batch of Colchicine tablets (be careful with these I was advised only to take 12 and then I couldn't take anymore for a few weeks). The combination of the two sorted my out double quick and although I will probably suffer all my life I can control it with these pain killers.

I keep a stock of diclofenac and pain killers in the house and although it might sound a bit mad, I take soem where ever I go. I have suffered many broken bones and a serious back injury in my life, but very few things came close to the pain levels with gout. Not even suffering slipped disks was this bad.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

High GDU Bromelain ( 2500 or more) is very effective for joint pain relief caused by gout. I wish I knew this when I starting having gout.
  • Posted

I am also 36... I had my first attack in the night last night...felt like someone had shot me in the foot... I've given birth twice with no pain killers, so thought I could endure pain pretty well... this definately rivals the pain of labor but is INESCAPABLE.....I have a lot of empathy for you. I was put on medicine called Colchicine for today....haven't taken it yet because pharmacy is filling it now. I hope it works! This helps ( your post about what they gave you ) because I will specifically request that if this medicine doesn't give me some relief. 

I have 2 jobs and 2 kids and husband to take care of...I don't have time for this! The pain is truly shocking... I have a new perspective when I hear anyone saying they suffer from Gout. GOOD GRIEF, it's unbelievable. Hope you are recovering and feeling well now!

• Posted

Definitely**** is what I meant to type.

• Posted

Colchesine will work if it's gout, but it is not the solution. You need to get your blood unrate tested AFTER the pain has gone. (Btw you can take Ibufren alongside colchesine to reduce pain and swelling). The reason to do the test after is blood urate level falls during attack. If the urate level is high, then you need treatment to flush the excess urate from your system. Do not ignore it as high levels of urate cause inflation in the organs and do horrible things long term. The drug of choice is Allopurinol. You need regular (monthly at first) blood tests to watch urate levels. The reduction of urate will cause gout as the stored urate is flushed out (be ready with colchesine). Once you have had no outbreak of gout for 6 months you can then reduce allopurinol.

NB many GPs have little idea about gout except "give a tablet to stop the symptoms."

• Posted

Not that young, I got my first attack when I was 14! I take bromelain & turmeric to control mine. Meds don't keep your urate levels down unless you take allopurinol or turmeric, or cherry juice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.