Gout

Posted , 5 users are following.

I drink no alcohol, I do not eat sweets, maybe a bit, not much, I eat vegetables all the good stuff tomatoes,garlic,red onions, kale, carrots, beets, mostly raw and yet I developed gout. I do eat regular types of fish like trout and salmon, regularly and some chicken in the form mostly of white breast. But my toe inflammed could not walk, and my uric acid is 7.7. What should I do? Usually when a person develops gout, heart disease and secondary diabetes go hand and hand and other problems develop. It is like a metabolic disease.  The only thing I want to try now is becoming a strict vegetarian. Will this help? I do not know what to eat as a protein source though. I am over 65 , but I lift weights and do lots of exercise .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The simple answer is Allopurinol.

You are absolutely correct about the complications of gout - but it's not the gout - it's the hyperuricemia that is the issue.

You can become a vegan and it probably won't help. The excess Utica acid is coming from your own body, not your diet.

• Posted

Uric Acid not Utica (auto correct error).
  • Posted

yes, what rusty said. Your body not too much of your diet.
    • Posted

So I got gout from unknown build up of uric acid even if my diet is completely clean. So what do I try now. Most people with gout also seem to have heart problems and than also diabetes onset.
  • Posted

So I can get gout, with out eating lots of meat, and liver, and beans, even with a clean diet because of a metabolic defect. I eat clean, no booze, nothing. no meat, how did I get gout?
    • Posted

Gout is caused by hyperuricemia. Hyperuricemia is caused (generally) by uric acid not being removed well enough by the kidneys. The uric acid is a metabolite of purines being metabolized by the body. Purines are derived by two methods:

a) 15% by the ingestion of meat;

b) 85% by catabolism (i.e. the destruction of the bodies cells as old and damaged tissues are destroyed and replaced by new cells). On the average man this is the same as eating the best part of 2kg per day.

If you scour these fora you will find plenty of vegetarians who have gout: proof that either they are all liars or that there is a source of non-dietary purines.

Btw, don't beat yourself up about lifestyle: it is a contributing factor for the obese and the alcohol and sugar abusers, but for most it's just your genes.

• Posted

I have to agree with Rusty. At this point, it has to do with your genes. I, too, exercise, am not fat, I eat very healthy, hardly no meat, no chicken, fish about 2 times a week, I don't consume alcohol at all, diabetes does not run in my family, and yet, since I was 14 I developed gout. Purines in food are the biggest culprits, wheat, herring, sweetbreads, high fructose and carbonated unsweetened drink which cause dehydration. Drink tons of water daily, eat steamed vegetables, stay away from Kale, cauliflower and spinach.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.