Gout after year on Uloric

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am hoping to get some help with my chronic gout.  I just turned 47 and have had off and on for about 8 years. I tried getting on uloric and allp a couple times but never stuck with it because side effects.  Well last year in February (17) when the attacks became more frequent so I decided to try the uloric again.  At first I had mini flare ups which I was told is normal while the uric acid was getting out of your body and could take up to 6 months which mine did. I was upped to 80 mg and from about July of 17 I was gout free.  Well in December I had my first gout attack in my right ankle and it was excruciating painful and it lasted for about 2 weeks.  Fast forward to February and I get an attack in my left ankle and i thought could not get anymore painful well I was wrong. Fortunately I own my own business but I missed 3 plus weeks of work during these two attacks.  Well the one in my left ankle never fully feels like it is gone and is continuing to flare up in my heel by the bursas and in my toes.  My Rheumatologist is baffled because he has rarely seen this type of attacks after a year on 80mg of uloric.  I have a kidney that produces kidney stones(medullary sponge kidney) and I will take a stone over these last two attacks any day of the week.  I am searching for anything I have been on prednisone off and on since Feb 1st and right now am up to 30mg to try to control these flares. He even questioned it being mechanical but we are both in agreement gout is culprit.  He has tested me for RA and other things and all negative. Has anyone had this type of problem. I have changed my diet and lost about 25 lbs since Feb while on prednisone which is amazing but I have been strict.  I am very active in doing cardio 4-5 days a week and light weight training but these last two attacks have stopped my exercise for 2 weeks first one and probably off and on 3 weeks in this current.  I take tart cherry pills4 daily, apple cider vin, right now 30 mg of prednisone but he has had me on 5 mg trying to control flares after my first ankle flare, colchys. I am at my wits end and looking for anyone who has had similar incident.  

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

If the gout meds aren't working, look at "pseudo-gout".  If it starts somewhere besides the big toe, and if it moves around from one joint to another, suspect pseudo-gout.

Pseudo-gout is calcium-based rather than uric acid.  Treatment is basically pain killers and waiting for it to go away.  There's no dietary guidelines, no different meds for it.  It *may* be associated with regular gout in some way, but does not respond directly to gout meds.

I've used celery seed for the last two years, you can Google it, and it may be an alternative, even preferable, to allopurinol.  Since I've been on it I've had no attacks of gout or pseudo-gout, though I've had several before over the last fifteen years or so.

Painful as the pseudo-gout is, it never hurt quite as badly as the real thing.  However it travels to all these obscure little joints in the foot, and even though the pain is "only" a 6 or 7, you cannot walk on it - where with regular gout, it may hurt as a 10, but you can still walk on it, carefully.  Does that sound like yours?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.