Gout and colchicine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I developed gout in my big toe joint 8 days ago and I'm now on the third day of a course of Colchicine. The pain has eased to just about bearable but the swelling and redness is actually worse. I have tried using ice, elevating my foot and drinking lots more water but none of these have helped. I've also cut out the high purine foods I ate before the attack such as prawns and sunflower seed bread and am staying off the foot as much as possible. Can anyone tell me if it's normal for the swelling and redness to get worse? 

0 likes, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

PS Forgot to add my kidney function is up from 54 to 56 which is good news.
  • Posted

The good news is the dr doesn't think it's my kidney causing my pain, told me to take co codamol or use ibrufen gel but I won't do either as I only ever use pain relief when pain is unbearable and it's not that bad. Got to have another blood test to check kidney function next week which I hope will show no deterioration (I can't help worrying the uric acid may have done further damage) and also check my uric acid level now. He said he doesn't expect it to be much different as it takes a lot of time for it to reduce. As for my foot he said it's greatly improved and the swelling will eventually go down. He mentioned me taking allopurinol to which I asked if the benefits would outweigh me taking yet another drug and he said possibly but then he decided to wait until he sees the blood test results. He was very pleased that stopping my diuretic hasn't raised my blood pressure but said to keep checking it occasionally. 

I'd told him last time I'd stopped taking the avorstatin and he wasn't concerned so now I'm taking two less tablets than before which I'm pleased about. I can remember when I saw one of the female Drs about my numb toes (which I now know is axonal sensory neuropathy) she said she may need to review the drugs I take and this really worried me as I could see no way any of them could be stopped. Without the omeprozole I suffer terrible heartburn caused by my hiatus hernia, without the serequel I wouldn't sleep and my mental health would deteriorate, without the lisinopril my blood pressure would rise and without my ADD meds I'd go back to living in a fog, unable to concentrate or settle to anything. 

After I came out of the Drs I went shopping and bought a whole load of health foods, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, pineapple, melon, apples, pears, organic yogurt, pure coconut water, cranberry juice (wanted cranberries but they didn't have any), cucumbers, carrots, spinach, lettuce, cottage cheese, organic honey and as my potassium levels were low before I even risked kale too. I came home and made a fruit smoothie containing all of the above fruit, coconut water and yogurt - delicious. It's a fantastic way to improve my diet and so easy. Wish I'd thought of it years ago! 

• Posted

Hi Kay

This all looks pretty positive to me. I'm sure that as you improve your diet your maladies will improve. Simply losing a bit of weight helps most of us feel better, as well as helping our kidneys and liver to clean our bodies better.

I wouldn't worry about your kidney being damaged by one terrible round of gout, it's a long term thing, not just a few weeks.

The smoothies with plenty of kale, spinach and green veg are very nutritious and quick to prepare. I'm sure in a few weeks you'll feel much healthier.

My only suggestion coconut water as it can be deceptively high in calories and salts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.