Gout and diet

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anybody successfully treated gout with diet? My O/H has recently been diagnosed and the medication is making him ill, he has just changed meds but would rather not take any at all.

Thanks

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have tried taking almost a teaspoon of baking soda mixed with water or what they call baking soda and I believe it has reduced my uric level. I can even eat moderate purine foods and would not flare up.

If you do not have hypertension then baking soda water may be good for you. drink it every after meal to filter out or reduce uric acid.

• Posted

gout along with many other ailments can be virtually eliminated with a good sensible diet.

Taking some recognized supplements can also help but which ones will suit him will need some long term experimentation.

It will not hurt to cut down alcohol, take more fruit and veg and cut down on red meat.

Taking celery of any sort and cherry juice ( there is a specific type for fighting gout] will also help.

• Posted

how do you account for vegetarians with gout?

by curing gout do you mean curing the illness or just stopping the symptoms?

• Posted

I m not accounting for any vegetarians, vegans etc , athletes, Japanese people or zombies

Just making the point that a healthy diet avoiding the known problem foods and taking the recognized beneficial supplements is probably the best place to start.

• Posted

It's a good place to start. It seems sufficient for me. I respect rustygecko's arguments that you do want to go beyond preventing gout attacks, certainly need to check your blood urate levels. And diet alone is not going to work for everyone.

But certainly any doctor is going to tell you to do the diet anyway, and will probably be happier with you as a patient if you've already tried that before going on various meds, because then you can see to what degree the meds, and not the diet, make a difference.

• Posted

I m not accounting for any vegetarians, vegans etc , athletes, Japanese people or zombies

Just making the point that a healthy diet avoiding the known problem foods and taking the recognized beneficial supplements is probably the best place to start.

• Posted

A healthy diet is obviously important for everyone. However, gout has little to do with diet - it is a genetic disease. While people believe that diet can help their gout, there is only very weak research evidence to support that. Gout is an illness which comes and goes, very often in a very unpredictable fashion. The result is that is is easy to think that a dietary intervention caused the reduction in symptoms, when in fact it is just random.

Furthermore, whatever patients do to reduce gout attacks - gout is a symptom and not the illness. The illness is high blood urate. If that is not reduced to very low levels there is an inevitable rise in a variety of life threatening illnesses. If you want to live another 25 years then urate lowering therapy is the way to go - if you don't care, or are in your nineties then blood urate isn't an issue.

• Posted

I posted about a year ago under my gout cure and as mentioned by someone else on your thread , sugar reduction .

I tried everything else diet wise and no good for me . i had huge sugar and fructose cut down. I haven't had an attack since October 2016 and stopped taking allopurinal 7 mths ago now . in short I've suffered with gout for 18 years .

• Posted

Thanks, its worth looking at that. unfortunately he has had a flare up today 

• Posted

ONe of the few short term fixes is colchecine. Often works in 24 hours.

• Posted

Thanks, I think he has that, although he is reluctant to take it, he is using ibuprofen at the moment.

• Posted

unless he has kidney issues, colchicine is a well understood drug that has literally been used for thousands of years. Painkilkers are ok but they don't help to dissolve the crystals in the joints. people worry because thry hear horror stories about upset stomaches but if you just take one in the morning and one in the evening til the attack is over he will have no problem.

the last thing of course with gout ... you almost cant drink too much water.

Some people find ice cold water on the joint helps, others find very hot water helps, others find altrrnating both.

Finally dont take aspririn.

• Posted

Thanks, he is now taking the colchicine , fingers crossed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.