Gout and exercise

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im looking for some advise please.I had the foot/ankle swelling pain and morning stiffness of the foot a couple of years ago.I got blood tests taken and was told it was consistent with gout.(Im female,early 40's.) I have not had a severe bout since,however,I do get pain and swelling of the ankle occasionally though,especially if I have been on my feet all day.My problem is that the pain comes back when Im doing exercise.Naturally,this is a pain as Iam trying to lose weight.Does anyone else get this problem,or can someone recommend exercises that won't cause mild flare ups?

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you taking Allopurinol? You need to take it all your life to get a grip on Gout. I exercise very hard and not one attack since I stabilized my Gout on allopuronol...I think 5 years ago now.
  • Posted

You don't need Allopurinal! See my earlier post on another thread!!!!

A lack of severe attacks doesn't mean you don't have gout.

I had a couple of bad attacks a year before I felt I needed to go to the doctor for tests. What I'd thought were the result of excessive weight i.e. swollen instep, swollen ankle, itchy bunion on big toe, uncomfortable shoes etc., proved to be an ongoing result of being goutylicious smile I didn't realise this until my gout was under control which took the best part of 18 months.

I do still get the occasional twinge, just 3 days ago my heel was very tender, but even though I can walk it off and even jog without any discomfort I don't, preferring to let things settle for an hour, a day or longer if needs be. Listen to your body. Swelling and pain are indicators telling you to stop.

• Posted

Thanks Tarquin,I have never been given any meds.My results showed "consistent with gout!" I was on painkillers,but nothing else.Certainly,if it swells or is sore I rest it,I just think it's odd how it gets sore when I exercise,I though gout was diet based.
    • Posted

When did I say lack of sever attack means you don't have Gout? :-)  Quiet the opposite...if you don't have firm control over your blood uric acid levels you could just be sitting on a time bomb, building up to a major attack or more seriously heart, kidney etc problems down the line. Not to forget major damage to bones, tendons and muscles.

People who say they cured gout are living in fairly land.What are you blood uric acid levels wihout any uric acid controlling meds? What were they before you took any meds? When was your last attack? How long have you been attack free?

You can't just say that you tamed Gout when you don't even know what is going inside your body silently due to Gout.

Btw the more you exercise the more your blood uric acid levels rise so just diet alone won't take care of that. Excellent Diet + Allopurinol (or equivalent) ) Win win!

Your fellow Gouty.

• Posted

I meant.....Excellent Diet + Allopurinol (or equivalent) = win win.

People who are fat or have been eating rubbish all their life might  show greater improvement on good diet but what do people like me do who have been eating excellent diet all their life even before they got Gout?

Gout runs in out family so I was geneticaly doomed lol

Allopurinol is my saviour PERIOD! Cheap and effective.

• Posted

Hi you may not know that when you take Allopurinol you have to drink a lot of water, one of it's requirements, the problem being that if you exercise a lot you need to drink even more! I was still getting attacks and running to the toilet a lot to boot!

My GP moved me onto Febuxostat, you still have to drink water but not copious amounts. Also no attacks since! Touch wood.  I've now been on it for nearly three years..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.