Gout attack for 5 weeks while on allopurinol

Posted , 5 users are following.

I took Allopurinol for 6 weeks and after two weeks, I had a terrible outbreak of gout that lasted 5 of the 6 weeks.   I have been off allopurinol for 10 days. I still have a level of 8.1 of uric acid and inflamed foot.  They gave me Colchicine and told me to take it for 3 months and to start the allopurinol in a week.  My foot is still inflamed, should I start the allopurinol?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My understanding is that Allopurinol takes several months to be fully effective (perhaps even a year).  Be patient with it.  I am puzzled why you came off it in the first place??  Why did you?

For the record , I have been on Allopurinol for about 18 months and have been virtually 100% gout free (altho' I used colchicine once for a few days).  I am a great fan of the drug and somewhat less of a fan of the "natural" alternatives.

• Posted

My limited understanding of the Allupurinol (AP) is that it pulls uric acid from out of your surrounding body tissue. combined the AP is trying to remove old uric acid while trying to remove new uric acid after a meal. I am not sure maybe some one else could confirm this.
  • Posted

Never take allopurinol whilst gout pain is present it makes it more painful, wait until the pain is completely gone before taking allopurinol. Often when starting to take allopurinol it can cause a gout attack. Try montmerency cherry juice and tumeric capsules both have anti inflamitory properties. The finest tablet I ever took was ARCOXIA 120 mg absolutely brilliant ask your GP for some there is life after colcichine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.