Gout: colchicine and allopurinol.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Further to my original post, with regards to colchinine and allopurinol.

​Took my first colchicine 10 days ago and took 4 a day for 3 days, then 2 a day for 4 days and 1 a day for the last 2 days. I have now stopped taking them.

After 4 days I started taking allopurinol at the stated dose of 1 a day.

​I have not experienced any bad side effects that I expected with regards to the colchicine and the allopurinol has not induced another attack of gout, up to the point of writing and after just taking my 9th tablet.

​Approximately 14 days before I finish the 56 100gm tablets of allopurinol I will have a full blood test taken and reviewed with my doctor to decide if I need to upgrade the allopurinol.

​Hopefully by that time I may have got a result!

P.S. Could anyone enlighten me with what exactly Pseudogout IS?

​Best...

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rokeby

Its interesting:

From Google:- Is a type of inflammation of joints (arthritis) that is caused by deposits of crystals, called calcium pyrophosphate, in and around the joints.Pseudogout literally means "false gout."

Pseudogout is a form of arthritis that causes pain, stiffness, tenderness, redness, warmth, and swelling in some joints. It can affect one or several joints at once. Pseudogout commonly affects the knee or wrist. Less often, it can involve the hips, shoulders, elbows, finger joints, toes, or ankles.

• Posted

Hi Martin.

Do you know if it could be possible to have both.

​I know I've definitely had three acute attacks of gout, thats definite.

​But although the last acute attack has, to all intents and purposes, cleared up, in the region of the ball of right foot, I'm left with what you have described - stiffness,slight swellig, tenderness, slight redness and a definite feeling of warmth.

I have never experienced this feeling after my previous two acute attacks of gout.

​Best... 

• Posted

Hi Rokeby

You will need to go back to your Doctor, they need to do a test with a syringe. to exstract from the big toe. 

I am still learning myself 

• Posted

Had an X-ray, Ultra-scan, and numerous blood tests only to prove what me and my doctor aready knew "I've got gout"!

​When I go back to my doctor for my review I'll ask for an opinion on your syringe extract technique, be interested in the response.

• Posted

Rokeby,

(this is not a response to Pseudogout)

Note that the effect of allpurinol is a very slow one (but very effective).

I may take up to a year to reduce uric acid.

Hence the need for other medication during this period.

• Posted

That seems to be the case with allopurinol I've been taking it for about 18 months and only now I seem to be fine all the redness has gone from my feet, I really want to stop the allopurinol because I'm worried about the long term effects on the liver, pancreass, kidneys, my doctor doesnt really want to know, so its down to me to make my mind up, but I'm worried id get gout again.  
    • Posted

Got an older brother who had been taking it for 3 years with perfect results.

​He decided to stop and is paying an horrific price!

​It's what finally persuaded me to start taking it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.